The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hunter's First Shrimp Tank

8K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Nubster 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking a second to look at my first shrimp tank.

All I have now is low grade Cherry's thanks to Soothing Shrimp.

I'll post more later. Just wanted to get a few pictures up now.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Sorry this weekend got real busy.

It's time I took a min and updated at least what plants I have and then I have a few questions.

Fauna:
Forgbit - Love it in this tank!
Anubias - It's in the back corner attached to the DW. You can't really see it because the moss has really grown out.
Moss - I'm not sure what type. I bought it a long time ago and it has been in another tank. Believe it or not the moss is tied to some cholla(SP) wood. It has totally engulfed it. Maybe someone can tell me what it is if they know what it is?
Bacopa Caroliniana - in the back right corner. For some reason in this tank it is turning red. Don't know why but I love it!
Baby Tears covers the front right. It's not the dwarf kind. It's much easier to grow. It's time for a trim actually.

Question:

Over the last week I have had three shrimp deaths. It looks like it was from a bad molt. Keep in mind this is my first shrimp tank so I'm not sure what a bad molt is. But it looks like they have a crack on the back of their shell like the were trying to molt but didn't.
It seams that something in my tank is lowering the GH. I have be using distilled water from the supermarket and remineralizing it with MMP. I get the GH to about 8 and then in a few days it's back down around 5. I have my TDS up to about 230 trying to keep in at 8. Any ideas to why this is happening or am I just crazy.

Thanks everyone.

#12 ·
Got some IAL for the shrimp tank. What all do they do exactly? It's my understanding they help lower the ph. If thats all the do I will just put them in the back of the filter. But if the shrimp actually feed on them I will move them to tank its self.

#13 ·
I think I finally have the tank at parameters the shrimp like. I haven't had a death in a week and I have a barried shrimp. She is pretty young so I don't think she will carry them full term but I'm excited she is comfortable enough to become barried.

#18 · (Edited)
Pic of how I modded the filter!

Step 1: Drill holes in the bottom so water is pulled down through the filter media.

Step 2: Clue a piece of plastic to the cut out section on the side where the water was pulled through. I recommend using an epoxy designed to bond with plastic. Also be sure and let it cure all the way before you add water.

Step 3: Clue some wire mesh on the inside of the filter intake so shrimp are not able to crawl through the slits. Don't forget to cover the small hole halfway down the filter chamber.

Step 4: Layer your filter media. I had to buy two larger blocks of foam and then cut them to fit.

#25 ·

Step 1: Drill holes in the bottom so water is pulled down through the filter media.

Step 2: Clue a piece of plastic to the cut out section on the side where the water was pulled through. I recommend using an epoxy designed to bond with plastic. Also be sure and let it cure all the way before you add water.

Step 3: Clue some wire mesh on the inside of the filter intake so shrimp are not able to crawl through the slits. Don't forget to cover the small hole halfway down the filter chamber.

Step 4: Layer your filter media. I had to buy two larger blocks of foam and then cut them to fit.
This is what I was looking for, and I need to do this. I am going to re-do everything, try to save what bacteria load I have built up, and try this.

#23 · (Edited)
I can't remember what brand they are I'm sorry. I did purchase them at Pet Smart and they were not the small ones. They were the larger ones. The small sponges are too small so I bought the larger ones and cut them to fit!

#24 ·
Got a question hoping some of you shrimp keepers might be able to help. What causes Gh to creep down after a few days. My gh starts at 6 and then after a few days to a week its 4 or 3?

I have fluval plant stratum and a piece of DW in the tank. I'm taking the DW out today and putting it for sale on here.

Any ideas?

#26 ·
I would recommend two changes. First be sure you use a water safe epoxy. Two I would recommend also drilling some holes low below the intake to pull in stuff that isn't floating. Don't forget to put some wire mesh on the inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.