The Planted Tank Forum banner

Magnesium difficiency?

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  SpecialEffect 
#1 ·
My leafs on my amazon are curling up..
Wondering if i need to add magnesium.

Another question only way to know my calcium and magnesium is with a tester right?

How do i add magnesium or calcium to my aquarium?

Using pfertz [m], [n], [p] & [k]
Dosing flourish iron, and flourish excel aswell.

#5 ·
#10 ·
Nah, they look fine... My 3 flying foxes swim around eatting... My 9" red belly stays in his corner and just chills like usual. With his random bursts of energy whn someone walks by begging for food.

While i wait for my gh/kh test kit i also ordered a fluval Q2 to oxygenate the water while lights are at 1% moon light... Probably going to have it run untill my "sun rise"

And for my lighting... Idk... EVERYTHING has exploaded in color and growth ever since i got these lights... 4 years an never seen such color and growth... Pearling to a hole new level aswell

#14 ·
Well... Got my kh/gh kits... Tested my water...

Montreal:
KH: 7
GH: 8

Aquarium (based on mid-day of co2)
GH: 9
KH: 6
PH: 6.4
Nitrate: 8...between 5 and 10
Phosphates: 0.5

How's the tests?
this is acceptable for most plants
some sensitive species will do better with lower KH.. but they will grow just fine in higher KH, just likely not to grow as fast, or as colorful
again ur plants should grow JUST FINE

#19 ·
Mg++ deficiency is a little more common than many assume.

It's one of two things: veining of leaves, common in Swords and in Anumbias, but few other species.

The other is a general color loss of greens and slower limited rate of growth.

Adding MgSO4 back will restore the green color very fast(it's the central atom in Chl a, b etc, other wise the molecule is grey in color). and should restore the veining issue in a few days.

I've had everything from 0.3 ppm in tap up to about 50ppm of Mg. In dense tanks where folks do not add any known source of Mg, it can and does happen, most often when folks assume their GH is a nice balanced ratio of Mg and Ca, sometimes it is all Ca++, but extremely rarely, it might be mostly Mg, I've never seen a tap like that yet but perhaps one does exists somewhere. GH measures both Ca and Mg, not both.
If you dose a known source of GH, say GH booster, which is about a 1:4 Mg/Ca, then you know you will not be limiting.

Or most add MgSO4 to their CMS mix for traces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.