The Planted Tank Forum banner

All Fluval Spec Mods

202K views 216 replies 91 participants last post by  RoguePlanter 
#1 ·
I've noticed so many threads on Fluval Specs lately, and I know I personally love my tank.

So wether you've got the Spec 1, 4, 5, 194738, if you've got some lighting that worked for you, or you did a trick to the equipment, added something, replaced the filter, please comment here!

If it works for you, comment. If it doesn't work for you, still comment! It could really help all of us out collectively to have it in one place.

I'll start off with a few things I have learned in the next post!

#84 ·
Don't mean to beat a dead horse about this...

It's about that small slit below the middle of the black plastic separator.

I've had my fluval spec V for about 2 weeks now and the first thing I did after perusing reviews/mods was to plug that slit with silicon. So I did, and I really can't say that inflow is improved. It makes sense, that water would therefore flow in from the top vented section and then down, but water is pretty stagnant up in that section.

One more thing..

The pump placement. Per the instruction manual, it says to position the pump so that the intake is against the black plastic. Originally I had it rotated clockwise 90 degrees (looking from the top) because it made sense to me to have the pump intake closest to the sponge and not pushed up against a wall basically. In the end, I changed it back to what the instruction manual said because I thought Fluval did their research and should know best.

So just curious, how's your guys' placement of the pump? Did you follow the instructions or turn it? Also thoughts on siliconing/covering up the small slit halfway down? Help with flow or not?

Hopefully we can all help make this tank the most efficient it can be!

#87 ·
One more thing..

The pump placement. Per the instruction manual, it says to position the pump so that the intake is against the black plastic. Originally I had it rotated clockwise 90 degrees (looking from the top) because it made sense to me to have the pump intake closest to the sponge and not pushed up against a wall basically. In the end, I changed it back to what the instruction manual said because I thought Fluval did their research and should know best.
I also turned my pump where the intake faces the sponge. I'd like to hear opinions/thoughts on this. It made sense to me, I guess.

#88 ·
Bumping this thread with a question.

I have the mini jet 606 pump after my stock one burned out.

I am curious if anyone has had success in diffusing co2 in the the pump side of the return chamber? I am considering cutting a slot or hole in the pump output hose but I don't know how efficient this method would be. Currently the flow in the tank is a little high so this could be a two birds situation.

Any suggestions?

#92 ·
I recently cut a hole in the pump output tube. About half up, approx 1/8" diameter, and facing the heater. It has really helped with circulation and really helps distribute the heated water a lot better.
My spec used to hover around 73*. Now, it's right at78*--without adjusting anything.

#93 ·
Anyone had a problem seeding there filter on a fluval spec v, 7'weeks down the line I am still getting high ammonia levels, 0 nitrite ,0 nitrate, for last 3 weeks pump been on high, but I don't think it's pulling down through the sponge and bio media , I have not. Blocked the small slit at the bottom, also water in pump chamber looks stagnant, there's also a sideways slit between sponge chamber and pump chamber, could between the two of these the media not getting water pulled through and killing of the bacteria, I did place some seeded floss from my big tank,

#95 ·
Which way is your out nozzle pointed? Point it up to get the most turbulence. I plugged the bottom slit because I didn't want little shrimplets getting in there. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to plug the slit between sponge and the small compartment. I'd imagine water wouldn't circulate in there. If you look down on the sponge, do you see water circulating?

Besides the floss, have you added any food, ammonia to the tank for the bacteria to eat? Any fish in there?

#96 ·
Have 5 endlers who now have 4 fry different females, had these in from start , so seeded the spec foam with colonised filter floss from my 125 litre tank, feed accordingly for the endlers, but now 6 weeks on still no drop in ammonia, or rise in nitrite or nitrate, even with all the water changes ammonia levels with the api test show 2 to 4 parts p m, never had such non seeding , pump now on high for few weeks , output nozzle is pointing up and towards front glass, but has a ring of coarse filter foam to diffuse the flow apart from the edge which moves the surface water just enough, in the fiter there is a slight swirl , but in the small chamber it looks. Stagnant but water does flow through the slit between chambers, any ideas

#97 ·
Clasman pictures would be great. Where did you put your seeding material? I'd have you close the fail safe hole at the bottom first in order to get flow going at the top.

#98 ·
I just set up a Fluval Spec V for blue velvet shrimp. Sitting at work today I got to thinking about ways that I could add my own media, as I would like to fill up with Seachem Matrix. I found a media basket online that is made specifically for the Fluval Spec, but it's 40.00!!! Way to expensive! So I pondered all afternoon and I think I've come up with a plan. When I get off work this evening I'm going to stop at Michael's and buy some of that plastic mesh that people use for crafts and cut that into the proper sizes to build a basket, then clip it together with plastic zipties. Anybody here have any thoughts as to why that wouldn't work as a media basket? I was thinking I would put some filter floss on the bottom, then my matrix and then top it off with a prefilter sponge.

#99 ·
I found a media basket online that is made specifically for the Fluval Spec, but it's 40.00!!!

I bought one of those baskets even though I felt it was too expensive also. I couldn't be happier. So much room for media! The only mod is a small plastic wedge I stick between the top/back of the basket to keep the basket pushed against the intake grate so my babies dont get lost in there. I also have sponge media on top and sides. They like to go in, snack and come back out. No where else to fit.

I'm not sure how the craft material you mentioned is but make sure it's sturdy enough.

regards,
Pete

#105 · (Edited)
Just wanted to post how I plugged the hole at the bottom of the filter compartment. It was easy and can be done with water in the tank, which was the most important factor to me. I just cut a piece of electrical tape bigger than the hole itself and stuck it on the water colum side, yes it still sticks once it's wet. Barely visible, easy and cost effective.

Also I remember seeing a mod someone did with the stock light fixture. They made the day and night time blue leds come on at the same time, anyone have any info on that?

Attachments

#118 ·
Just wanted to post how I plugged the hole at the bottom of the filter compartment. It was easy and can be done with water in the tank, which was the most important factor to me. I just cut a piece of electrical tape bigger than the hole itself and stuck it on the water colum side, yes it still sticks once it's wet. Barely visible, easy and cost effective.

Also I remember seeing a mod someone did with the stock light fixture. They made the day and night time blue leds come on at the same time, anyone have any info on that?
Does anyone see any potential issues with the adhesive on the electrical tape leaching anything? If not this is by far the easiest solution.

#107 ·
Hey all,

I've had a couple Specs and love the look and form-factor but have always found myself wanting to tweak/mod the filtration. So, I finally decided to ditch the whole filter and go with a mattenfilter since I've been so happy with one (and Poret foam filters in general) in my main tank. The stock filter was very easy to remove - just silicone which cleaned up nicely with a razor blade. I used 1" 30ppi Poret and a small Jetlifter from swisstropicals.com, and I cut off the very bottom of the stock filter to use as a "gravel-guard" at the base of the foam.

I have the front edge of the foam lined up with the frosted glass edge, and a Hydor Theo fits nicely as does the stock top. The foam is cut just slightly wider than the tank and stays in place by itself. 1" Poret works ok in this tank as it's only 7" wide or so, but in a larger tank the 2" foam is much more stable.

Also, I really like these Jetlifters, but there's no reason you couldn't still use the stock Fluval pump and tubing - might need a little more room behind. Just make a small "x" in the foam with a knife and push the nozzle through for a tight fit, like I did with the Jetlifter.

Not sure what I'll use it for, yet! :)

#108 ·
#110 ·
#111 · (Edited)
Hi I have a very simple mod that has worked wonderfully for my spec v. I replaced the lighting and now have very high lighting enough that my dwarf hairgrass is shooting off runners everywhere.

I went to home depot, bought a plain desk lamp, and then bought this 65 watt cree daylight floodlight bulb. Here is the link to it.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/5384684/Cree-95-Watt-65W-Daylight-5000K-BR30-Dimmable-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-BBR30-06-contemporary-light-bulbs

It is important to note that you Must use a bulb rated "daylight" it has the ideal spectrum.

I also bought some 1/2" pvc and fittings made by "sharkbite" from home depot and created a spray bar. The fitting was not a perfect fit I had to trim and sand down the elbow to get it to go into the piece the nozzel normal goes into. Then I had no surface tension so I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top to spray water at the surface. It is working well, but was still too powerful for my small apistogramma fry so I then used silicone on the inside of the elbow and blocked half the fitting. Since then it has been at a very good level. I then sprayed it black. Here is a picture...

And here is the whole tank. I adjusted the contrast a bit because the light is very very bright.

#112 ·
Hi I have a very simple mod that has worked wonderfully for my spec v. I replaced the lighting and now have very high lighting enough that my dwarf hairgrass is shooting off runners everywhere.

I went to home depot, bought a plain desk lamp, and then bought this 65 watt cree daylight floodlight bulb. Here is the link to it.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/5384684...-Light-Bulb-BBR30-06-contemporary-light-bulbs

It is important to note that you Must use a bulb rated "daylight" it has the ideal spectrum.

I also bought some 1/2" pvc and fittings made by "sharkbite" from home depot and created a spray bar. The fitting was not a perfect fit I had to trim and sand down the elbow to get it to go into the piece the nozzel normal goes into. Then I had no surface tension so I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top to spray water at the surface. It is working well, but was still too powerful for my small apistogramma fry so I then used silicone on the inside of the elbow and blocked half the fitting. Since then it has been at a very good level. I then sprayed it black. Here is a picture...

And here is the whole tank. I adjusted the contrast a bit because the light is very very bright.

Your light might be a bit strong, but nice spray bar!

#115 ·
Definitely PM a mod like Somewhatshocked if you'd like to see it stickied.

I would say until such a time exists I'd email it to yourself or subscribe to it so you will always have it in your history somewhere.

#116 · (Edited)
Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for this thread. New to the Spec V and lots of good info in here. List of what I've done and pics:

1. Added Purigen bag under filter housing to push coarse sponge up and restrict some of the flow from the lower inlet.

2. Added hole to outlet hose based on some of the benefits mentioned here in thread.

3. Upgraded to Satellite Current LED+ and really love it, its sleek and looks like it belongs. Though, it's powerful enough that I fear I will be forced to move to co2 in order to ward off algae.

4. Bought Flourish Excel and Flourish but have not dosed yet.

Pics - http://imgur.com/a/m8kdR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.