#1 · (Edited)
Tanks size - 800mmx600mmx450mm
2 x Radion XR30W
Pressurised CO2, with Sera reader
Fluval 405- Matrix Bio filter

Aquasoil - Amazonia 2

Strike up date: Fathers Day 2012

---------------------------------------------------

Just coming from SPS dominated marine tank. Thought to set up a freshwater planted, and see how I go growing an underwater garden. - certainly plenty more options for aqua scape variables. Been loving the freshwater buzz so far and thought its time to set up a journal .

Hope I have done this correctly!!

Now time to upload pics - see how that goes - stand by

#69 ·
ATM I am using only iron, and flourish @ half recommended dosage, and at water change only. I find any more than that and I get an influx of algae. - I would say it is attributed to the high nutrient content of the Aquasoil. I'm sure in time, once the ferts are depleted from the soil, I will have to increase the dosage.

- but hey, if the plants are full of colour, healthy and growing fast, I need not do any more than what is working. Good lighting and co2 ATM, with minimal ferts is dong the trick - so far anyhow.

#75 ·
Today I have noticed a lot more baby shrimp. It looks like both types of shrimp are breeding, with really tiny ones which look newly hatched again. I counted about 20 babies today, which I imagine a lot more are amongst the foliage that I can't see. - I think I may end up with a lot more shrimp in the next couple of months!

They must really love all the hiding places to breed! - this is really rewarding!

#79 ·
I'm assuming you are referring to the shrimp? What does pfr stand for?

If is shrimp, then Im not sure either. To give you some parameters that have not been intended, just happen to be.

Dkh - 1 or 17.5ppm
Ph - ranges from 5.65 to 6.3. During the day it drops the most as the co2 is on, and can raise back to 6.3 by next morning. As the Aquasoil is very low in ph, it encourages lower readings.
Temp - 24 Degrees Celcius

Lights hours - 8
Co2 hours - 8, and in conjunction with lights

I was unsure how hard or easy it was to breed them, it kind of just happened. I have had them from juvenile, and for 6 - 7 weeks before they began showing signs of carrying eggs.

How long have you had them ?

After all that I really hope you were talking about the shrimp lol.

#80 ·
yea im talking about shrimp haha, PFR stands for painted fire red shrimp witch are prety much cherry shrimp. i have had about 15 of them for about 3 weeks now and not even a little sign of eggs, but most r still juveniles so im assuming this is a big reason for them not to reproduce. we will see in due time what happens haha

#82 ·
Staurogyne and UG have almost grown in, and completed the intended look. I'm thinking 3 weeks and photo time.

I'm now getting itchy feet for another tank! This getting grown in, I like the finished product (few pending changes) and think I need another tank to mix it up - let me just consult the minister of finance, and see what she says /-:

#92 ·
Re: Ads' 800x600x450 frameless underwater garden - Now with PICS!!

What soil/dirt are you using, and is there anything on top of it? I used organic pond compost, about 1" deep with about the same of 2-3mm stone on top. I'm not very successful with this setup....and I think my Molly's are eating most of what I'm planting too.
Any suggestions welcome :-(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

#93 ·
What soil/dirt are you using, and is there anything on top of it? I used organic pond compost, about 1" deep with about the same of 2-3mm stone on top. I'm not very successful with this setup....and I think my Molly's are eating most of what I'm planting too.
Any suggestions welcome :-(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
You could always try planting some more hardy plants. I found that water wisteria works well. It gives a bushy look to the tank and grows like crazy so if your mollies nibble on a leaf or two you won't have to worry as it always has some other shoots growing anyway.
Good luck

#95 ·
Foreground - UG
Second Tier - Staurogyne Tropica
Top tier - Blyxia
Front RHS - Ludwigia, I think.

I do want to add a little more colour but no sure what to use at this stage. Looking for something squat, to replace the ludwigia (as mentioned I think that's what it is). Although maybe I will remove that area all together as I think it hides the elevation a little too much.

#98 ·
Hi all ....

I was worried my tank may start cycling again, and take out some casualties as well.

It been one week, fish and shrimp seem healthy. May upload a pic as well. So I'm glad it hasn't been a disaster so far.

I used a different soil to top it all up, I gather all the nutrients of the Aquasoil are still available to all the plants. All be it 6" deeper in some areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.