The Planted Tank Forum banner

lbacha's Emersed Setup (Lots of pics enjoy)

49K views 221 replies 38 participants last post by  johnson18 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I was running out of room in my tank and I really didn't want to set-up another tank in my aprtment so I went a different route and bought a cheap home depot rack and some lights and some nusery flats with humitity domes, I also have a rubbermaid container on the ground for some larger plants. Here is a pick of the overall set-up I will post some pics of the specific plants as I go.

#5 ·
They are actually just sitting in standing water I was going to build a tray to set them in so I can recirculate the water but I want to see how standing water works since I have seen other people do it that way and have good success.

My substrates vary I have one tray with some rare crypts I got and they are all grown in clay pots with aquasoil malaya, most of the other plants and the stem plants are all grown in rockwool cubes inserted into net pots. I have also just started planting some lagenandras in hydrocol clay balls.

Clay pots: (C. cordata "grabowski", C cordata "thailand", C stiolata, C noritoi, C zukalii & C usteriana x walkeri)

Mesh Pots (C wendtii tropica)

Hydroton: (Lagenandra nairii, Lagenandra thwaitesii & the C usteriana x walkeri-same as above)

I just add a couple drops of regular fertilizer to the water when I add it and i'm planning on water changes every 4 weeks if I can go that long. I really want the set-up to be as low maintenance as possible.

Currenly the water stays between 70-75' the humidity is 90-100% and the air temp is 75'.

My biggest concern right now is mold and fungus growing on the substrate since I don't mist the plants from above, if anything I may build a system that can submerse the plants if needed.

Len

#16 ·
I like the humidity domes alot they keep the humidity high and the temp stays good (can't beat the price) the only issue indoors is that they drip a little, so far the drips just land on the tray below but eventually I want an enclosed setup. I really want something like the terrarium set-ups you see with the glass doors on the front this way I can put the lights right on top of the tank in th erack and still be able to get into it. I have a RFQ out to glasscages.com to see if they can make me something like that.

Len

#19 ·
Ibacha, those are some awesome plants you have, and like everyone else, I'm quite envious.

If I had invested that type of cash on the plants, I'd pick up a couple 20 longs with glass covers so I could actually see the plants!!!!! Save the humidity domes and nursery trays for propagation.

#21 ·
Looking great! I have plans to set up something identical to yours. I had to move my emersed setups inside since the overnight temps have been dipping into the 40s. I haven't had time or money to get a rack though. Right now my tubs are sitting in my mancave on the floor with a 4' shoplight over them. Not exactly the best looking setup lol.

#23 ·
Here are some pics of the different plants I have

Some terrestrial moss I found by my parents lake

My small H pinnatifida stems, I'm interested to see how they grow emersed

Some alternanthera reineckii stems

H corymbosa 'stricta' I got in a small tube from petco

Some mystery stems that I got in a swap, if anyone knows what they are let me know, I think the top two cells are Ludwigia repens.

The whole tray

I hope you like, I'm going to add a list of all the plants I have emersed at the top of the thread

Len

#29 ·
Hey Len. Beautiful setup man. Keep it up.

I also have some questions. I have an emersed setup, and wanted to know how you are growing Java Fern in yours. I have mine in a tub of water in the setup. What I am wondering, is how much light you have over yours, what your water level is at, and how you fertilize it. Any help would be great, thank you.

P.S. If you need to see my setup, it is in my signature.

#30 ·
Hey Len. Beautiful setup man. Keep it up.

I also have some questions. I have an emersed setup, and wanted to know how you are growing Java Fern in yours. I have mine in a tub of water in the setup. What I am wondering, is how much light you have over yours, what your water level is at, and how you fertilize it. Any help would be great, thank you.

P.S. If you need to see my setup, it is in my signature.
I just planted the java fern in rockwool and net pots, I set the rhizome on top of the rockwool with a couple roots in it to hold it down, it has since spread its roots and started shooting up new leaves, here are some pics. If this method works well, I'm going to try and obtain some harder to find varieties of java fern and grown them this way as well.

Len

#32 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you think this would work if the rockwool was replaced by potting soil? I am trying to figure out the best way to grow mine.
The benifits I see with rockwool, is it's easier to use, cleaner and it doesn't grow mold and fungus like soil. The nutrients also get to the plant more efficiently. I'm sure soil would work fine though.

Len

#33 ·
The benifits I see with rockwool, is it's easier to use, cleaner and it doesn't grow mold and fungus like soil. The nutrients also get to the plant more efficiently. I'm sure soil would work fine though.

Len
Thank you for the info. The reason I ask about the soil is because that is what I already have setup. I want to grow it emersed, I just didn't know the best way to do it. Also wanted to know if you are putting any ferts in your water.

#34 ·
For fertz I'm using a standard household plant fertilizer (schultz I think) at full strength in the setups with rockwool & hydroton clay balls and half strength in the ones with soil. I can't tell you how it works yet because I just started these, I havn't seen alot of recommendations on ferts so not sure what the best is. I do replace the water every 2 weeks and add ferts at that time.

Len

#38 ·
Len,

What species Buce did you get? I got a few species myself so let me know... maybe we can trade down the line.
I am definitly up for some trades when these start growing, not sure how long that will be since this is my first experience with them. If you have any suggestions on how to grow them best let me know, right nor I have them sitting on top of aqua soil malaya.

here are some pics..

B. 'sokan' (Its an awesome looking plant)

Buce kapit

Buce kapit s malinau

and here is the C bullosa (I can't waut to see this grown up)

Len

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.