The Planted Tank Forum banner

Co2 in MN

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dx3Bash 
#1 ·
This is for fellow Minnesotan's. I am looking for a place to have my Co2 cylinder filled. I have tried a few places and struck out (airgas, northern brew, hubers). I am not interested in a tank exchange and want to keep my new cylinder. I live in the southern Metro area. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I live in Apple Valley and did a lot of calling around. There are no places south of the river that will fill. Here is what I found, and all of these prices are for 5lb.

Jason's Dry Ice in St Paul will fill for only $10, but you have to leave it overnight. If you want to wait, it's $25 to fill. Hours are 7-3 M-F only.

Praxair in St Paul is $20 to fill your tank while you wait. Hours are 7-4:30 M-F

Oxygen Service Company in St Paul wil fill for $18 while you wait. Hours are 6:30-5 M-F.

Minneapolis Oxygen Company off Dowling and 94 will fill for $20 while you wait. Hours are 7:30-5 M-F. Exchange is only $16.

There are likely other places, but I stopped calling once I found one that worked for me. I use Minneapolis Oxygen Company because I drive by every day on my way to/from work. The rest are far to inconvenient for me. When I stopped in at about 3:30pm they had shut down the CO2 filler and would only exchange. I had a shiny new aluminum tank and wanted a fill. I explained that to them and they showed me how they kept shiny 5 lb aluminum tanks behind the desk for just this.

Since they actually fill their own, they get to pick out the nice ones and keep them for people that swap in nice ones. He pulled one out that looked exactly as nice as mine. I did an exchange. As long as it looks as nice, why not save $4 and a bit of waiting.

The way I found them is I just pulled up google maps and searched the area for "gas service" and went from there.

#3 ·
Good information to know. I have a 65g that's low tech right now and needs to be upgraded to a CO2 system. My plants are on life support with Excel at the moment.
There is another location for Minneapolis Oxygen Supply in Bloomington, do they have the same service (i.e. a shiny for a shiny)?

#5 ·
I ended up going to Oxygen Service Company in St Paul today. Thanks for the post listing the various places that fill. OSC was very friendly and quickly filled my nice new shiny 10 lb tank without any question. Came to about $19 total. I will go there again unless the novelty of the shiny tank wears off when its time to refill and convenience of an exchange is more appealing. :icon_conf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.