The Planted Tank Forum banner

Marko's 5 gallon Betta Barracks -- update (12/14/13)

26K views 65 replies 23 participants last post by  skindy 
#1 · (Edited)
specs
tank: all glass 5.5 gallon
filter: azoo mignon filter x3
DIY acrylic dividers
substrate: flourite
flora: v. montagnei, a. nana petite, m. pteporus trident, c. parva, c. pontederiifolia, l. sessiliflora, h. tiger, n. aquatica
fauna: 2 black orchid CT b. spendens (1 male, 1 female)

pics

the fourth compartment is not yet finished. and i may move the smaller gardn planter from the second one into it, not sure yet.

the female unfortunately has velvet, i just got her shipped to me a few days ago, and she caught in during travel. most annoyingly, i didnt notice until she was already i the tank sharing water with the male.
she is doing ok though. is active and eating nicely.
am treating with salt, higher temps, Cu, and malachite green.

See less See more
#2 ·
pretty setup, though i certainly don't agree with keeping bettas in this small of containers... 5.5 gallons is big enough for ONE betta IMHO.
are you going to attempt breeding?

EDIT: i'd also be worried that the flow would hurt the bettas' fins. that looks like a pretty hard stream of water if you don't have it baffled somehow...

#3 ·
bettas dont spend too much time swimming once mature, IME. and each betta has over a gallon of swimming space. 5 gallons is the min for many fish, because it is hard to keep tanks smaller than that at stable temps, but this setup allows me to keep the bettas in a stable environment. and the water is chemically stable as well, with 3 filters, gravel, plants, and weekly 50% WC, the tank has very healthy parameters.

yes the two are being conditioned for breeding at the moment. i intend to attempt breeding 1-2 weeks after the females velvet passes.

#6 ·
If you divide it into 3 sections instead of 4 it would give you more room to aquascape and the bettas would benefit from the extra bit of horizontal swimming space. I'm partial to odd numbers :D. Aesthetically I think 3 compartments would look better, but that's just my preference.

Great idea though. Looks good so far. Cheers.

#7 ·
If you divide it into 3 sections instead of 4 it would give you more room to aquascape and the bettas would benefit from the extra bit of horizontal swimming space. I'm partial to odd numbers :D. Aesthetically I think 3 compartments would look better, but that's just my preference.

Great idea though. Looks good so far. Cheers.

#10 ·
thanks
they are all black orchids, but the leftmost male has the least blue iridescence. he has the best coloration, while the female and her brother (which are unrelated to the leftmost male) are from a line with inferior coloration, but superior finnage and topline (spinal form). im hoping to get the best of both worlds in some of the offspring, and use them to further the lineage.

#14 ·
thanks

I always like the more innovative designs and the pseudo UGF/HOB is a pretty cool design... nce job
thanks.
there is no UGF, though. what your probably thinking is a HOB is the moss carpet. the moss just hasnt grown enough to cover the mesh.

I'm always hunting Petsmart for a black orchid..... it will happen one day ;)
Unique set up!
it might, but even if it does, it will be a genetic mutt that looks like a black orchid, not an actual black orchid. buying from a breeder is the best option. normally id tell you to buy from me, but my black orchid spawn i under 3 weeks old, so itll be a while til they can be sold.

#15 ·
What do you charge for one of those black orchids?

Tank looks great too, btw. I like how each section has it's own little scape going on, very hard to make that small a space look so nice I bet.

#17 ·
depends on how they turn out. the sire cost $15, the dam cost $8; so the cost of the offspring would likely be somewhere between those 2 figures. unless some of them end up with quad crowning or crossrays, those i would charge more for. the females line had some quad crowntails, and her brother is almost a crossray, but his rays dont curl out strongly enough; so im hoping for a handful of those in the spawn.

#19 ·
My mistake, it just looks as though the initial pick up is at the far left section and the last output is in the right partition, so to get back to the start the flow would need to go through the gravel... Or is water able to get around the partitions?? I wouldnt call it a true UGF, but some mechanical filtration if it goes through the gravel at the bottom...

#20 ·
the filters pull the water from one section into the one to its right. the water then returns through 9 holes drilled in the dividers, as well as through 5 slits drilled at their top (for surface flow). the dividers are glued to the bottom of the tank, so there is no flow through the gravel.

#25 ·
well the java fern trident melted, as did the crypts. but both are now recovering. im suspecting my large doses of excel built up in the tank during the time i went an extra week without water changes, and triggered the melt.
update pics:

#29 ·
intro to sociology was canceled today, so i got some nice pics of the fish instead (while i shouldve been studying orgo).

Erebus:

Phantosos:

Icelus:

the fourth one, Phobetor, decided to play in the pelia instead of pose for the camera, so no pics of him.

#32 ·
thanks. im particularly proud of his webbing reductions. he has a pretty perfect 50% first tier, 25% second tier reduction, which many consider to be the optimal webbing reduction in DR CTs.

but im still partial to the balog CTs, namely Phantosos. im so relieved i managed to get him through a flexibacter (columnaris) infection, and a simultaneous opportunistic case of velvet. hes the guy i plan on using to sire my F2s.
Really lovely fish!
thank you. :)

#34 ·
here is a pic of Phantosos (the balog):

i dont have a recent one of Erebus. the older ones show him at a 40%/15% webbing reduction, but now rays have grown longer and the webbing not as much (thats the normal pattern for growth in CTs). its possible that as he ages he might even attain 60% webbing reduction between rays and 30% between ray branches, but that would take a long while, as he is now full grown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.