The Planted Tank Forum banner

C.o.a.s.t.

25K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  BeardedCrow81 
#1 ·
For those of you who don't know, and you live in or around the Los Angeles or Orange County areas, there is a wonderful fish-keeping club called COAST.
Its' website (although not always updated) is www.fishclub.freeservers.com.
We meet almost always on the first Sunday of every month, in the Costa Mesa Community Center (behind the Petco, and next door to the Costa Mesa Public Library, at 1 p.m.
Membership is $20 a year, and includes a monthly newsletter. You can "audit" your first meeting for free to decide if you'd like to join.
A typical meeting includes about a half hour of chit chat, followed by a guest speaker (recent subjects have included planted tanks, cories, cichlids, killies, freshwater caves in Central Amercia, and the 2004 (Aquarama?) fish show in Asia), followed by a large auction with offerings from members (mostly fish, but there's also usually some plants, and dry goods). I have gotten some amazing deals at the auction! The auction alone is a good reason to join.
If you're into fish, or even better, into planted tanks, please consider coming to one of our meetings. There are a few members who are specifically planted tank enthusiasts, but it would be nice if there were more of us!

Reactions: anavidfan
#2 ·
I think there may be a need for a Aquascape Club of Orange County. Although COAST is a great club, I think one focusing more on the planted tank would be fun. Or, maybe a COAST special interest group. I've even thought of a name...

Aqua SCAPES ... Southern California's Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts Society ... say that really fast three times ! ;)

#3 ·
I like the name.
I've been actively trying to recruit planted tank people to join COAST because it's already well established, and because there are lots of members, and those wonderful auctions. It would be ideal if we could develop a sub-group of COAST, but still have enough serious members to meet a little more often that just once a month. Think of all plant trading we could do, and how we could offer eachother advice and help with aquascaping. When I changed my 100g from plain aquarium gravel over to having an underlayer of Profile and laterite, I had to completely drain my tank, all by myself. It would have been nice to have a few friends over to help, and to be able to return the favor someday.
I have managed to get a couple of people to join COAST that I've met here, and we've talked about meeting, etc., but I haven't heard from, or seen them, since their first meeting. People seem to flake out. We just need to get enough SERIOUS hobbyists who will make the commitment.

#5 ·
Tony- yours is the kind of expertise that our club could really benefit from. I know you joined COAST, but I never see you, and Katy (remember her?) seemed to drop off the face of the earth, along with Vinny.
I have a family to clean up after, and a full-time job, and another hobby that takes up most of my evenings (pool league Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays), but I still make as much time as possible to tend my tanks and fish. For me, this is my relaxation.

#7 ·
Oops, you got me there. Those were the first I missed. I skipped the trip to Simi Valley because I didn't trust my car for the long drive in the hot temperatures, and I needed to do my weekly tank maintenance. I skipped the meeting about cichlids because they're just about the only type of fish I have absolutely no interest in. But since I joined just before Christmas, I've been to 5-6 meetings.
The only point I'm trying to make is that COAST, and planted tank people in particular, really NEED more people like you, Tony, to make a good plant club.

#9 ·
Meeting Today!!!!!

SanDiego Fishies made a nice post elsewhere with details, so click
Here
for more details

Hope to see some of you people there!!! :)

I hope to bring a small bag of L. Cuba for the auction, so if someone was looking to try some out cheap and without paying shipping...
Anyone else going? Going to bring anything?

#10 ·
COAST Fish Club, Costa Mesa, CA Nov 7th 1-5 PM

This month's presentation is on Killifish!

Wave your hand if you plan on going!!

I know that I will be bringing a bunch of plants!!!
Ludwigia sp. cuba
BL. stellata (I hope)
Bacopa australis
Hornwort
Marsilea Minuta
Lobelia Cardinalis
Wendti Mi Oya (?) (I hope)
C. Petchi (I hope)
Taiwan Moss (I hope)

See you all there!!!

#14 ·
I believe the meeting is THIS Sunday. I won't be able to make it (I have a wedding shower to go to), but I think food for the snack table is always appreciated. As are fish, plants, dry goods, etc. for the auction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.