The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nick's 75g first planted tank (algae help needed)

25K views 169 replies 24 participants last post by  Rush3737 
#1 · (Edited)
First post is for updating info, normal beginning post will come next!

=======================================

Supplies:
Tank/Stand
Tank/Stand (Craigslist) - $125
Glass top (included) - $0
Foam/Duct Tape (Home Depot) - $12
Glass top pieces (Home Depot) - $3
Glass top pieces (Pet Solutions) - $13
Shims - $2 (Home Depot)

Substrate
Safe T Sorb 60lbs (Tractor Supply) - $13

Filter
Fluval 406 (Amazon Seller) - $130

Heating
AquaTop GH200 (Amazon) - $17
Thermometer (Petco) - $3

Lighting
Diamond Fixture (Home Depot) - $35
2 48" 32-watt 6500k fluorescent bulbs (Home Depot) - $10
3 prong timer (Home Depot) - $10
Hanging Stuff (Lowe's) - $14

Miscellaneous
Surge protector (Home Depot) - $13

Fish
Transplants - $0
New - $75 est.

Plants
New - $100 est.

Goal: Keep under $550 for all the stuff used exclusively for this tank.

Total so far: $400
Remaining estimate: $175
Total estimate: $575
Over/Under goal estimate: $(25)

=================================

Threads:
Substrate (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=222682

Lighting (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221001

Fertilizer (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=222682

Filter (solved) - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221673

Plants: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=218145

See less See more
#29 ·
So, 200g later I finally said it's time to just put water in gently and see what results I get, and it's mostly clear. Filter should be able to handle things from here. Anyway, boxxer, here are the substrate pics you wanted.

Also, my gf and I are rethinking the hardscape. We'll probably put the rocks in the back corner. Putting them in the middle and working everything around them would probably be a lot trickier than putting them in a place where they have glass to lean on and in the back.

#31 ·
My shower/toilet was about 30 feet from the tank, so not horrible. Only really bad part was putting the final water in. Had to put it on top of the tank because I was actually siphoning it into the tank (and still onto a plate) to be as gentle as possible with it. But hey, it's a good workout I suppose!

I should be getting the final pieces for the top tomorrow, and also the filter. In addition I am working with a member here to purchase some of my first plants. I have some rocks boiled, but didn't have a big enough pot for others, and someone will be loaning me a bigger pot tomorrow.

#32 ·
Hi Rush3737, just a few things.

Firstly, I see an SNES in your pics. Wooohoooo Gamers unite! These are now the stuff of legend. I hope yours still works even if you have to blow on the cartridges.:thumbsup:

Secondly, your layout. When designing aquascapes one should never place the focal point in the center. Just off center either to the right or the left is better for focusing the eyes and the brain. Additionally try to be a lit bit less symmetrical in your layout. Use random patterns and groupings to create some interest.

This thread should really be a sticky - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180044

Thirdly, great build. I hope you and the misses enjoy it immensely!

#33 ·
Thanks Turbo! I haven't played the SNES in awhile, but it still does work. PS3 and PC keep my attention plenty, but it's always nice to go back for some DK, Mario, or Megaman once in awhile!

As for the thread, I'll definitely read through it after the Flyers game, but my idea has now completely changed from the picture I originally posted so it being center won't be an issue.

Got these guys in today...

First off, I had no idea the Filter would be so complicated and have so much power. I have a basic HOB filter with my 29g that has a single insert, and so this is just a bit of a jump up. The test kit allowed me to begin my fishless cycle today, with 15ml of 10% ammonia pushing me to between 5-6ppm.

Next up is my rock formation. This could very well change, but I do like the cover it would provide my raphael. There are some nice natural dark areas in there and I may put a background on the tank to simply cut down on daytime light coming in from the window.

Here is an overview shot of the tank at this point. Plant is ceratopteris silquosa, and was an experiment in the 29g that frankly was not going very well. I threw away a lot of dying bits and only planted those doing alright. I placed in my first homemade fert tab, and tomorrow I'll start adding the liquid ferts as well. The skull is just a temporary measure from my 29g to help quicken the cycling.

And here is the glass tops nearly completed. I'm going to wait until the tank is 100% done to cut the plastic strip and add it once I know for sure what is going where as far as things going into and coming out of the tank.

And from a member here I've purchased:
2 bulbs of the Red Tiger Lotus, 3 stems of Limnophila aromatica, and 3 stems of Red Ludwigia, and am waiting for all that to arrive. I really don't have plans for much yet, other than I still like the idea of some green grass out in front of the rock with the Red Tiger Lotus planted along side it to grow over it a bit.

#34 · (Edited)
Considering pulling the trigger on this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2457338#post2457338

I *really* like the Asian Ambulia, and it would give me a nice control to base my plant growth off of. If it's not doing well... then I'm really f--king something up. I also think the dwarf sag would be something to try for my little patch of grass. May not work, but can always pull it if need be.

I also could use some suggestions on a type of moss for the rocks!

#35 ·
I have some plants if you're interested. Purple and green cabomba, a dwarf sword, bought it as xingu sword, it sent a runner that has nine daughter plants and counting. My regular sword just started a runner a couple of weeks ago, and maybe a couple others. I have some blue tetras and a koi angel I am looking to move also.

Let me know what you think, I live in Lehighton, but work in Allentown, and it's no problem to run down there on the weekend.

#37 ·
Hmm, Dwarf sag is a little thinner than I'd like in those pictures. And that link had some great info, but I can already guarantee I will be guilty of too many plant species, at least at first. Will probably plant a lot to see what works and then thin the heard and re-arrange when I see what is doing well and how everything is growing.

LGD: That would be great! Looked up pictures of both of those things and I like them! The Cobomba would be a great sub for the ambulia it looks like.

#39 ·
Added in some plants today, and I'll have pictures of those later, and will have more from LGD either tomorrow or next week.

But here is a pressing question. Two days ago I added 15ml of 10% ammonia and got about 5ppm. Today, two days later it's down to... 1-1.5ppm. I know putting a piece in from the other tank should help, but can that really be right? Going to start testing for Nitrite now.

#41 ·
Got the plants and look forward to planting tonight and posting some pictures!

Quick question regarding loaches, can anyone suggest a variety of loach that is both community friendly and will not tear up any plants?

#42 · (Edited)
So before I had... many stems of Water Sprite, 2 bulbs of Red Tiger Lotus, 3 stems of Limnophila aromatica, and 3 stems of Red Ludwigia.

Now, per LGD I have...
Green cabomba
Purple cabomba
Another cabomba somewhere in between the other two
Alternathera reinickii
Echinodorus tenellus
Lilaeopsis novae zeleandae
Some kind of rotala. maybe colorata?
A mature banana plant without the bananas.

And here it is!

The ammonia processing seems to have slowed some, so even though I waited 24 hours to add it after the batch of Prime I think that probably played a role.

#44 ·
Just bought some moss from a user here. Peacock, Java, and Taiwan.

Will use some on the left rock structure, some on the right, and some in front of the rocks on the left. Will probably move the grass forward and center a bit as I'll use moss for carpet now I think.

Anyone think I should do driftwood in the middle of the structure?

Also, LGD, after my day of work I remembered the 5 blue tetras you mentioned, but what was the other fish?

#46 · (Edited)
Okay, then here is a very early look at my possible final stock.

Transfer from 29g tank:
Silver Tipped Shark
Raphael Catfish
Red Tailed Shark

From LGD:
9 Blue Tetras
Koi Anglefish

New:
6 Dwarf Chain Loaches
2 Bristlenose Plecos
1-3 Longfin Rainbow
2 Roseline Sharks
2-4 Gouramis
6-10 Swordtails/Mollies

#47 ·
Also, if I can get something off of a member here, I might up the budget and make this high tech. In this for enough already... might as well.

#48 ·
And yet more questions...

The member here I was hoping to buy from had another possible buyer lined up, so if that falls through, I have a 5lb tank I can get off of CL for $65. The next major thing is the regulator.

After many searches I *think* this will work: Concoa 400 series

But can anyone say for sure?

Edit: Nope, single stage dammit

#49 ·
Plant update. Be prepared for lots of big names and scientific jargon...

Unfortunately the guy on the left kept getting uprooting until I had the good sense to turn down the Fluval a bit. Still I probably buried it a bit too deep now but we'll see. The one on the right seems to be doing well, and has sent out the air root thingies.

Grass is looking okay I guess, and I think the bit in the front may be a new blade, but I'm not sure.

As you'll see with the other big leaf plant, they are NOT doing well at all. smaller guy in front seems to be doing pretty good.

Three different plants here, all seem to be doing moderately well.

As I said before, BAD. Going to cut the two end branches off and let the plant hopefully concentrate on salvaging the middle branches.

The control group is doing well, with the highest stem growing about 3/4" in a few days. I love the variety of colors they provide in that back corner.

And I may have picked this up today, leading to the thread title change. I did manage to get it full for $65 off of CL.

#51 ·
Yeah, the cabomba forest is my favorite plant related decision so far.

Any thoughts on the planned fish stock?

#52 ·
It's going to grow like weeds for you, so you'll really have a forest if you want it. The one corner of my tank is very dark from the growth.

I'm mostly a South American fish keeper, so I don't have much experience with most of what you've listed, but my third hand knowledge tells me it's a great mix. The swords/mollies will keep the bigger fish well fed with their fry. :thumbsup:

#53 ·
Hmm, you'd probably then be interested to know that when I setup my 55g tank I'm going to be leaning towards an apistogramma based tank.

#55 ·
Exactly. Once I can successfully plant this thing and have it fully running and I'm happy with it that will be my next project to move on to.

#56 ·
Re-arranged my rock structures today to make the colors match on either side more. Also added Java moss to the left hand structure. I also bought a piece of driftwood that is currently soaking.

Will post pics tomorrow as my tank is a tad muddy right now from all the rock moving.

#57 ·

Okay, so obviously I've added the driftwood. I figure with a BN Pleco or two in the tank they will need it, and other fish tend to just like it, so I think it'll be a nice break between the two rock formations. Rocks definitely looks better with all the colors on either side, but hopefully if my moss experiment works out that won't matter much in the long run.

I re-planted the grass and also slightly moved some of the stuff sitting in front of the rocks on the left to give everything a little more room. One of my goals for tonight is to document and start to remember the names of everything in the tank so I know what I'm talking about as I add more and it continues to grow.

On that note... holy cabomba batman. That stuff is definitely taking off, about 3/4" or more in the last 3 days. Can't imagine what that'll do with CO2...

And on that note, I contacted Bettatail to hopefully build me something, but he unfortunately hasn't been on much lately and it's been several days since I've heard from him. His stuff gets great reviews and I hope he doesn't take a vacation from here or anything! Really excited to get that in place and have the plant side of things all squared away.

#58 · (Edited)
So last night I bought...

Victor 7-0155 dual stage regulator
Hoke 2331F2B metering valve
Skinner C series solenoid
*Check Valve
*Bubble Counter
*Tubing
*Disc diffuser

*This was cheap stuff from the Asian sellers, so if I have any issues they might get upgraded at some point.

I will still have to hit Lowes or Home Depot to get the needed washers, pipe putty stuff, and potentially an adapter for out of the regulator and into the solenoid. I know the solenoid is 1/8 both ends (as is everything else from there on out), but I think the output on the reg is 1/4, but not sure.

#59 ·
Okay guys, need some help, can't talk to myself through this one!

Basically the first plant I bought from Petco was Laceleaf water sprite. I had my concerns from day 1, but now it's obvious that there is another type of plant in with the sprite. Also, because this plant had 3 billion stems I uprooted it, removed any showing any signs of bad health and replanted the rest in 3 bunches with a little bit of space between, looks MUCH better now. But in any case, what's the other plant?

The left bundle is mostly the sprite, the right bundle stuff is what I need help with.

----------

In other news... snails. Didn't realize they could even survive with an ammonia filled tank, but apparently they can. Either the Java moss I bought in store of some of the plants I got from LGD must have had them. Looking around I guess they won't harm my plants, so they should be okay for now, but I still fully intend to get my Dwarf Chain Loaches, so any that aren't too big by that point will be in trouble.

#60 ·
In other news... snails. Didn't realize they could even survive with an ammonia filled tank, but apparently they can. Either the Java moss I bought in store of some of the plants I got from LGD must have had them. Looking around I guess they won't harm my plants, so they should be okay for now, but I still fully intend to get my Dwarf Chain Loaches, so any that aren't too big by that point will be in trouble.

No snails from me. Just added my first today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.