The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brooklyn Aquarium Society 10/12

18K views 218 replies 28 participants last post by  furnfins 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to this. I don't actually need anything, but at the last Big Auction they had repashy and Yourfishstuff vendors and I stocked up on food. Cheap. Besides, I'll be downtown that evening anyway, so I might as well.

Of course if you want to take bets that I come home with something that swims or scuttles, I can't blame you.

I'm no acitydweller, but I figured I'd see if anyone was interested and then, if so, if they want to swap anything.[STRIKE] I have work earlier that day, so I probably won't be bringing livestock, but I can do plants.[/STRIKE]I'm taking off that day, so let me know if you want;

Baby albino bristlenose plecos,
H. formosa fry (I don't have a jillion anymore, but I can spare a few)
Assassin snails
Other snails, the kind that breed out of control if you let them
Watersprite
Java moss
Java fernlets
Various floaters
I have other plants but I either forgot or never knew what they were called, one of these days I should have one of you plant experts over to ID them for me.

I forgot to mention that these auctions usually have awesome deals on tanks. Savvy buyers are used to paying a dollar a gallon on craigslist or Petco, but I've seen tanks with wooden stands and hoods go for less than that at these auctions.

For the sake of full disclosure, it is a trek to get there. There is free parking though, for those of you who drive.

Attachments

See less See more
#136 · (Edited)
Where are you guys going to eat dinner? Not much around there unless
you want to spend some bucks and go to Gargiulo's, just to let you know
Nathans is ala cart for their franks, no more meals which used to cost like $6
now it's twice that for the same thing, only at the Coney Nathans, but there is
other food there. If you have cars you can go to L&B which isn't far, the train
will get you there too, only a few blocks walk once you get out, oh, or Johns Deli
awsome sandwiches, would be the same stop as L&B closer to train, next to Petco.

If you do go towards L&B I can probably pick you up and get you back to the auction.
Albert I think we stuffed everyone ok into my suberu;)

#138 ·
If you do go towards L&B I can probably pick you up and get you back to the auction.
Albert I think we stuffed everyone ok into my suberu;)
I suggested L&B and Spumoni in post 97 but no one seemed to know it or was interested. haha i can easily polish off 4 squares

I dont mind the trunk. Its nice and cozy! Grimaldi's ought to be fine. Is it on the boardwalk?

#140 ·
im getting hungry already...

Is there only one entrance from the boardwalk or are there multiple entrances? just want to know where to meet up.
See ya all tomorrow at 3.

p.s.
Im bringing things for people whom were missed at the last event or have asked for something specific.
Will save swapping for Nov :)

#141 ·
Hi Everyone. I am new to the forums xD. I am still debating on whether I should go but does anyone know if they might have moss at the auction? I have a big and small tank and I was n't planning to house my shrimps in the big tank so I threw away alot of my moss. Turns out I had about 20 babies over the week that I can see and two more shrimps are berries. I've issued them an eviction notice due on Saturday and would like for them to have a new house by then! Thanks.

#158 ·
Hi B,

did you mention if we parked in the aquarium, that we have to move our cars into the other side of the lot for the auction? wanted to confirm this as well.
I would most definately think you would have to do that. Don't know if they'll let you move your car over too early but you never know. The lot we're in is usually for overfill from the main lot it's farther away from the Aquarium. I'm thinking maybe you should tell the guard you're going to the BAS meeting tonight and ask if you can park there when you arrive and then just walk over to the Aquarium, then you won't have to move the car, not that it's a big deal.

#157 · (Edited)
If you are driving go to the only drive in entrance on Surf Ave. I usually don't get there before 7:30pm but there are people there earlier setting up and the doors to the trailer is usually closed, but you can drive in and tell the guard you're going to the BAS meeting and he'll let you in,I'm sure he'll direct you if you ask. At least that was my experience the first time I went. Parking is free for the meeting.

#156 ·
My understanding, being a non driver who has been driven to the aquarium several times is that the free parking for the auction won't start till after the aquarium closes, because it is the same parking lot you'd normally pay for to visit the aquarium. It might be possible to park there early, with or without paying depending on the guards niceness, but I have a feeling that trying to overlap being an aquarium visitor and a BAS auction attendee will confuse them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.