The Planted Tank Forum banner

How long does it take to know if your plants are doing well?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  pejerrey 
#1 ·
I've had my first planted tank running for 3 weeks now. I have a low light 20 gallon with some java fern, one anubias, a few crypts, floating water sprite, and java moss. Everything pretty much looks the same as it did when I started.

What should I be looking for as far as if things are doing well vs. plants starting to suffer and how long will it take to know the condition of the plants?

#2 ·
Planted Tanks

Hello ben...

I usually know within a week or so if my new plants are going to make it. I think your plants are past that stage and it appears they'll do well in your tank conditions. Anubias, Java fern and mosses are pretty hardy and grow in most conditions. The others, are bit more particular and need at least moderate light. If you have florescent bulbs, then 1.5 watts per gallon of tank volume should be enough.

You can help by dosing a good fertilizer once a week when you do your water change. You don't need to fertilize but once a week when you remove nutrients through the water change.

B

#3 ·
With low light I find it can take a month or more before you can be sure the plants are actively growing and not just surviving. I look for new growth every few days to see how they are doing. Without new growth the plants may eventually just give up and die.

Adding even DIY CO2 will give you much faster growth, and the plants will look much better. But, you may have to remove or kill some algae due to the inherent fluctuation in the amount of CO2 in the water. If you don't mind the weekly chore of changing solution in a DIY CO2 bottle I think it is a very good addition to a low light tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.