The Planted Tank Forum banner

Using Groundwater for freshwater planted aquarium

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SouthernGorilla 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm hoping to start a 48x12x18 low-tech planted aquarium soon.
Can I use the groundwater in my aquarium (during intial setup, cycling and continue to use it henceforth)?

FYI, the groundwater in my place is hard, promotes algae growth (i have seen algae building up inside the hose of the washing machine in my home - high phosphate, ammonia/nitrate content?), the vessels that i use to boil the water has white salty deposits throughout the inner surface.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

#2 ·
It would probably be easier if you could pick some hard-water plants, but that leaves most aquarium plants out.

Could also try filtering with peat- it should help bring the pH down some, and lower the hardness.

On the upside, you won't have to worry about chlorine/chloramine

#4 ·
Guppies and Platies are hard water fish, it is better for them than soft water.

Test the water with all the tests you have, if any.

Most aquarium plants are fine in hard water. There are a few specialized plants that really require soft water, but that is a short list.

Filtering the water through peat moss may help, but I am afraid the only way to know for sure is to test the water before and after filtering with peat. It can. Peat moss can act like an ion exchange water softener, removing many minerals and adding organic acids that many soft water fish like.

#5 ·
Hi Diana, Thanks for the advice.

Is it worth investing in "API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT" and test the groundwater to get an idea on it's properties?

If it is okay (pls suggest any other options you might have), I shall go ahead and purchase it and can provide the details.

#7 ·
Yes, get the Fresh water master test kit, you will need it for other things. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during cycling (do the fishless cycle). pH is helpful, but I depend on GH and TDS to make sure the water is right for the fish.
Get the Hardness test kit, it should come with both GH and KH tests.
A good 'extra' is a TDS meter, available on line for about $20.

Do not worry about phosphate or iron, unless you know your well is high in either of these. Do you have any sort of report about the water already?

#8 ·
We tested our tap water and it came out very hard. I don't remember the numbers. But it's basically liquid granite. Our plants do just fine. The snails and shrimp are fine. Even the betta and cories are fine. Despite all the warnings about using only distilled water for top-offs and water changes we use regular tap water. Nothing has petrified yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.