The Planted Tank Forum banner

20G Long

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Sudi88 
#1 ·
Hey guys, getting ready to set up this 20G long aquarium, got the soil today but before I start messing with that which piece of wood and position should I go for?

Image #1 - seems a bit small on the picture but it's a decent sized piece
Image #2 - old piece I've had for a long time in another aquarium - thoughts?
Image #3, 4 & 5 - i bought this yesterday, caught my eye (of I go with #3 i would make in an island sort of a look with the wood sticking out of the water a bit; #4 I like that one a little as well, move it 2/3 of the way, I can angle it a bit with the soil but the piece is wide as the aquarium :D; #5 seems like a decent option... hmm)

Difficult decision, why don't i get your input...
I am thinking of a few smaller rocks in there as well...

thanks! - All opinions are good opinions

Also, sorry for the iphone photos but they are WIP photos, when i add the soil I'll start arranging this and keep this thread updated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 FTW

It's the best orientation of that piece IMO, the light and dark values create a pleasing depth of field.

#1 looks good too, but not as commanding unless carpeting or short plants are used to create a "low profile" scape. Otherwise I think this piece could be rapidly overshadowed by growth.

I think either would benefit from a smaller complementary or supporting piece to create an opposing "response" on the other side of the tank.

#6 ·
I like it :)

Just a thought, but maybe put the one on the left in front and right in back. If you really wanna get serious, I would suggest using the left one in order to create a second level by adding extra substrate behind it.

Just a thought, but this looks great too

#7 ·
looks prety good, idk about the second piece of wood personally looks a little cluttered, but could look really good with the one big pice moved over to the left a little more, just off center, and made into an island like u had said similar to this style is what i could imagine except with wood instead of rock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZDexLMZFrU

ether way it looks great! thats just my 2 cents :D

#8 ·
I just ordered some lily pipes (I have a cascade but I'm now thinking of a carnister filter) and sent a pm about plants. It will be at least a week before the water comes in... I'll let the set up stay and I'll sleep on it, see if I still like it tomorrow...

I did order too much Aquasoil... I have a bag left but I guess that means I need another project :D

Do you guys think that 1x 28W light (6700k) is too low? I may just need to look for something with higher wattage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.