The Planted Tank Forum banner

Seth's 72g low tech "the reject tank"

6K views 57 replies 12 participants last post by  Sethjohnson30 
#1 ·
My girlfriend use to have a big problem with buying fish before doin the neccasary research.

This tank was originally a brackish tank for her green spotted puffers and other bw fish we picked up to go along.

She slowly stopped maintaning the tank and I hate mixing saltwater every week. I also dislike her black ghost knife eating all my cardinal tetra an tearing up my ground cover.

So I convinced her to go low tech fw planted. I killed two birds with one stone. The bgk is out of my tank and I gave the bw fish to another member.

I cannot post pictures right now due to a server error :( this makes this pointless lol)

Fish
1 black ghost knife
3 geophagus sp.
4 angels
3 Congo tetra
10-20 varied nerites
1 bala shark(soon to go back to the Lfs)

Plants
Blyxa japonica
Crypt wendti
Amazon sword
Echinodorus bleheri
And a few others in not sure of the name

I will get pics posted ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 ·
I want to buy a new light fixture for this tank I feel the 3 t8's are not cutting it. I was thinking about going with a single bulb t5ho from Catalina aquriums. Any suggestions? I don't want very high light in this tank but I will have pressurized co2 and I dose ferts when needed.

#8 ·
I do like the Catalina lights, so I guess that can work.

What I wanted to say was how much I love that bgk :p
How big is it, and how does it do with the bamboo shrimp in there? Also, were did you get such nice large congo tetras? I've been wanting a few but I can never find them at a size where I feel my bichir wouldn't make a meal out of them

#9 ·
Well the bgk is 12-13 inches. As far as the bamboo shrimp go.....what I can tell you is they died. I don't believe the bgk had a part, my bamboo shrimp were 3-4 incheslong. I've been contemplating tossing in a few Amanos to see how they do but I'm worried my geophagus may be the culprit.

The congos I bought from my Lfs and they are pretty much always that size when they have them. I bought them a year ago do I'm sure they may have grown a little. How big is bichir?

#10 ·
Okay where do I start? I love the pic of your little-tike staring into the tank. Adorable! It's great when the little ones like the "fishies".

Your BGK is beautiful. WOW.

Did you notice your bamboo shrimp picking the substrate with their filters "hands"? They only do this if they are desperate. Sometimes there just isn't enough food for them in the water column.

#13 ·
I love seeing stacks and rows of tanks! lol You did a great job of talking your gf into going planted. The best part is seeing how thoughtful you were to put a tot-sized tank at your baby's eye level - wonderful!

What size tanks are going in the rack? I think I saw you post about it elsewhere, but I forgot. I have one of those racks loaded down with tools and such, and they are worth their weight in gold. Do I dare set up more tanks...lol. Thanks for the idea!

#28 ·
Anubias grows really slow in emergent conditions I can tell you that so putting it in your riparium might not be a good idea unless you're placing it in the submersed portion.

Blyxa is very bouyant... It'll take some patience and lots of replanting to get it to stay. You can also plant it with a few leaves on the bottom that act as hooks into the substrate, preventing it to uproot again.

#29 ·
Cool I've just been burying the floaters a little more than I think they should be, I hope it works.

As for the Anubias I do plan on planting it submersed attached to my driftwood. Some of it may be emersed but I probably have more of it than I can fit on my 26 bow that's half full o water anyway

This is the tank it will be going into

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.