The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mr. Aqua 11.4g Blue Diamond tank/Riparium now with Super Tigers

26K views 137 replies 28 participants last post by  Nubster 
#1 · (Edited)
I started a thread not long ago where I was going to do a Mr. Aqua 12" cube Buddha tank. That's been placed on hold. After speedie408 unleashed his awesome Blue Diamond shrimp on us, I jumped at the chance to be one of the first to obtain these beautiful shrimp. In doing so, I decided that the 12" cube tank just wasn't enough real estate and I wanted to go with a more natural scape. So, I decided to stay frameless and being very happy with the first Mr. Aqua tank, I grabbed another. This time an 11.4g, 18.9" X 11.8" X 11.8" tank.

Plans for this tank include a large rock mound, maybe two filled with Eco-Complete and covered in moss/fissidens. There will be some other low light plants such as a handful of crypts I have on hand and some Hydrocotyle Japan hopefully to form a foreground carpet of sorts. I'll also be heavily planting my HOB filter and possibly going full riparium with the tank.

So here's the break down:

Equipment
  • Tank - Mr. Aqua 11.4g, 18.9" X 11.8" X 11.8"
  • Filter - AquaClear 50 HOB
  • Light - Finnex FugeRay-R Ultra Slim LED Fixture +RED boost, will probably upgrade to afugeRAY soon for more medium light

Scape

• Locally collect rock and/or lava rock mounds
  • Eco-Complete

Critters

• Blue Diamond neos
  • Possibly Super Tigers if the water parameters cooperate

Plants

• Fissidens fontanus
  • Aluminum plant
  • Wandering Jew
  • Pilea cadierei
  • Fittonia argyroneura
  • Ludwigia Hybrid Red
  • Hydrocotyle Japan
  • UG - included in plant package I just grabbed from FS section, doubt I'll have the lights to make it work though. Might try to incorporate it into the planted HOB.

So that's where I'm at right now.

See less See more
#68 ·
Mr. Aqua 11.4g Blue Diamond tank/Riparium now with shrimp and lot o'pics

Hopefully they'll breed and you don't have to. My 6 are strong, and I'm 60% sure I've got 2 males. I'm 100% sure I've got one male.

#69 ·
I hope so too. I might grab a few anyways, he owes me one for the DOA. I want to order some of his Supreme Reds anyways to add to my stock of PFR...so when he gets more Blue Diamonds in, I'll probably get a few and ask to see if he can send me some that are sexed so I know I have a couple males. I know there was one in there, haven't seen him lately though. None of them really, only when lights are out.

#70 ·
New shrimp are here. Bought 10 Super Tigers to add to the tank. They are drip acclimating as I type. I plan to drip them for at least a couple hours. Hope to get some pics of the shrimp up later after they are in the tank. Here's a few of them dripping...

Packaged well...

My setup...

Container with the shrimp...

And just throwing this in...my planted HOB is doing well. I plan to add more plants in time and get some rip planters as well. I need a better lighting solution too. That light is great for just over the tank but it doesn't really give light to the HOB unless I twist it up at an angle. I need to get something to hang over the tank...something with a little more power that can be hung high enough to clear the plants but still provide enough light to the bottom of the tank. I thought just a CFL and clip on dome suspended above for the time being but I need to figure out how high so I can maintain low light in the tank. Any idea? I have 15w bulbs and 20w bulbs in 6500k.

That's it for now...more to come as I am able to get better shots.

#71 ·
Mr. Aqua 11.4g Blue Diamond tank/Riparium now with shrimp and lot o'pics

You should get something that hangs from the floor and is super strong.

Nice acclimation shots. I'm very excited.

#76 ·
You should get something that hangs from the floor and is super strong.
I have a heavy duty plant hanger that I bought for this...it will attach to the wall into a stud so it should be able to support any light that I would want to hang over this tank. I just need to figure out how how. I don't want to have too much light and risk algae or be forced to have to use CO2 on this tank but I don't want to under do it either. I'm sure the answer is out there, I just need to do some reading.

#72 ·
Getting ready to put them in the tank. There's 11 or them, 2 molts already. Excited too cause I finally saw three BD's in the tank, one male, and I think a berried female. She's so dark it's hard to tell for sure.

Anyways, the tigers are nice. They are super tigers but not SUPER tigers. Not like my last ones with the really nice thick stripes, but they have the colors on their head and tails. They'll still be a cool addition to the tank.

#73 ·
Ok, seems the tigers drew out the BD's...there's 4 and one confirmed berried, not the one I was thinking, so there's one, likely two berried and definitely one male. Also, one of the tigers is berried. So, it's turned out to be a good shrimp day. Too bad I have to go to work in 40 minutes or it would have been a great day all around. Lights are off on the tank for now, I'm letting the tigers settle in a few hours then I'll turn them on. I'll get some pics later of the new additions and maybe the berried BD's!

#89 ·
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with them. For the price I can't complain. I don't think they really are super tigers though. I've had super tigers before and these don't compare. Still liking them though.

Current tiger...

Super tiger I had before...

Pretty big difference if you ask me.

Anyways...I have the HOB pretty heavily planted now, I'll get a current pic up soon. I'm waiting on a riparium kit from hydrophyte so once it's in I'll have the whole back of the tank planted. I'll probably start setting up the 12" cube soon too. It's going to be planted rip style as well I think. Or I may even do a mini Paludarium with it. Who knows.

#90 ·
Nubster those are some badass shrimp! This tank looks good, can't wait to see it as a rip! Did you ever get any Supreme Reds from Speedie? I keep trying to grab some for my PFR tank but he is out every time I messege him. One of these days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.