The Planted Tank Forum banner

Surface Skimmer

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Wasserpest 
#1 ·
Hi,

If anyone has problem with on their water surface (ie oil films, debris, etc...). If deviced a simple way to cure the problem. Let me know okay ?

Cheers

#2 ·
I found that if you agitate the surface water it should go away,do so when youre lights are off so you dont waste c02 when youre plants really need it.

#3 ·
lay a piece of paper towel on the water surface and then quickly pull it up.

you can also siphon it off using a piece of airline tubing with the end just beneath the surface tho this may be tedious and take a while.

jon's idea works as well.

#5 ·
Just an observation to add to this...

Before I got my filter, I used a powerhead to create water movements. Had a lot of surface scum. Then I installed the filter and overnight that stuff disappeared. There was no change in surface agitation (almost none, I am using a bottom spraybar with many many holes directed 45 degrees to the front). About the same water movement, no other changes at all.

Just a thought... perhaps a bigger better filter would help... Now my surface is overgrown with Riccia, Ceradopteris, Myriophyllum and others and there is basically no surface agitation... still no more film.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.