The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 Gallon Low Tech Rock Scape-RCS Tank-Update 7-10-10

19K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  talontsiawd 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs:
-Marina 10 Gallon Tank (top is rimless out the box)
-Zoo Med 501 Canister Filter
-Ebay Lily Pipes (broke inlet so zoo med intake for now)
-Tetra Heater in PVC Piping Inline
-DIY Clip on CFL light-23 Wattx2

Plants
-HC

Fish
-5 Red Cherry Shrimp

Pics:

See less See more
#4 ·
The camera is a borrowed Panasonic DMC-LZ7. It is just a point and shoot. I couldn't get it to take anything at first but found a setting where you could pick a spot and adjust the white balance (which is different from the auto white balance). That was the only way I could get decent pics, I don't really like the camera but don't own one so what can I do lol.

#9 ·
Ok, update time....One of my RCS was pregnant before I got her and didn't drop her eggs through the acclimation process, etc. I found her on the floor and got really sad since it would be the first time I had anything in my aquarium reproduce. Today I noticed that another female was carrying eggs. I got happy. Then I noticed a baby shrimp and another, and another. It seems the female that jumped had her babies before doing so. Very happy.

I tried to take pics but couldn't get any so I took a FS shot. There is an algae waffer in the middle. It is filling in faster than I thought actually but still slowish. The glass is dirty so the pic isn't great.

#10 ·
Well, the babies are now big enough to take pictures of. I don't know how many I have, but it's alot. I also have 2 more pregnant shrimp. I may have a little factory going here.

Baby

Size comparison (and these grew almost 2x there size in a few days)

I am having trouble getting some full tank shots due to no background. I have some GDA which is actually welcomed right now but I have raised my lights. My photoperiod is really long and will be reduced when I want the GDA to go away. As long as I don't get other algae, this is fine as it is pretty easy to get rid of in my expreience.

#11 ·
OK, I tried to get a good FS shot but couldn't. I tried to edit it and went to far but it gives you a decent idea (I never edit pictures of my tank before so I had no idea what I was doing)

Even though it is filling in slowish, I would say the growth is good. I think it will fill the rest in in the middle pretty quick. I will need to add some more HC to the sides if I want that to really start to grow out quickly, I might, I am in no rush.

Oh, I also stupidly broke my intake lilly pipe so I am pissed about that. I don't know when I will get a new one, it isn't a priority.

#13 ·
I don't concider it a true Iwagumi layout as I really only used the "rules" as a guideline. I also only have HC now but who knows, I may throw in stems or whatever. I just will do what I feel like.

I have done a few low tech scapes but never took pictures. I find a 10 gallon does great with a incandecent hood, using 2 13watt 6500k GE bulbs. You can grow "high light" plants with good color, it is just really slow. If you run into algae problems (I have yet to have more than GDA), you just shorten the photo period to 5-6 hours and in a few days it is gone. Works every time for me and when I want to get rid of my GDA, I will do the same.

Many people think HC needs CO2 and high light. I have no trouble with this. The HC that is in there has been grown under less light for almost a year and a half. Does fine, almost no ferts (like 2x a year). I use excel for faster growth but don't do it regularly.

Low tech is awsome for sure. I love my high tech 29 but it is like 10x more work. It is more fun to experiment though because things grow back qucikly and you can make things do what they shouldn't. I have some sunset hygro I dont know what to do with so I put it in there. It isn't making a true carpet that is attractive but it is basically carpeting my substrate.

#14 ·
Oh, and the reason I don't have a background yet is I plan to use window tint for cars. I have a problem in the fact that I only have about .5in where the window sill is. I just need to find a day where I have a ton of patience.

I am also thinking a gradient background with a timed light would be cool, I am pretty limited with room but may try to go that route with a small PC/T5 bulb or LED's. I also want to add led moonlights at some point as well, just haven't had time.

#15 ·
Ok, it's been a bit over a month. This tank is doing SO well. It is basically on auto pilot. I do a 10% water change every time I need to water my plants. I dose excel when I remember but that is like once or twice a week. No algae except for a bit on the rocks which I actually like. Pearling with no co2. I guess sometimes things just work. I am loving low tech.

I have a bunch of shirmp now too. I have had 3 females breed.

Anyway, I am happy, sorry for the lack of updates.

#16 ·
that is some SERIOUSLY green HC, man im jealous! I love the simplicity of this tank and the minimalist approach. Few rocks, one plant type and an attractive shrimp selection with nearly no workload, great. I have a 2.5 gallon dry starting with this same approach, but with UG, a few rocks like yours and ill probably put in some cherries as well from my 10 gallon if i ever get some breeding done! I wish some of the females would get berried already! ERRR

Any way, i LOVE your tank!

#18 ·
Thanks everyone. I kind of have to laugh when i hear that HC needs co2 and high light, it has grown well for me under much less light than this with no co2. It can get leggy, you trim and train it.

I have had basically zero problems with algae, outside of GDA on the rocks which I actually like a lot. Honestly, not a single issue since I started. It got to be too much on the rocks so I reduced my photoperiod from 13 hours to about 7, it is just how I like now.

It is suprisingly balanced.

I am thinking about throwing some stems in. What do you guys think?

#27 ·
Well, it grew in well, unfortunately I pulled up some HC while trimming. The stems were not planted, they must have been roots in the substrate that somehow lived through pulling up my last tank and rinsing. There are more plants behind the rock, pretty cool but they will go.

New pics:

This has been the easiest tank I have ever dealt with and the shrimp breed like crazy. My design could have been better but I love it too much to start something new ATM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.