The Planted Tank Forum banner

Diy Auto drip system

777 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
I need to make a auto drop system and over flow, To help make water changes easier for when i get my discus and make it automatic and save me tons of time in the process with needy stuff for the tank.

My question is this. I know nothing about auto drips, I have no clue where to start.

My no experience idea was to buy 2 50 gallon heavy duty trash cans with lids that are seal-able. place them outside higher than what the tank is and run pvc piping out the bottom of each and T them together. Run the pvc through my wall and straight above the tank with a drip emitter.

To make sure excesses water can run off I have an old over flow that I was gonna place in the tank and pipe it outside. I would have the timing of the drip to change 100 gallons after 4 days. not sure If i will top off the trash cans every two days or so. Not sure how to go about that.

P.s. I have a 125g tank.

#2 ·
I have seen a set up like that on line. Someone in Australia.
The barrels (one or two, I do not remember) were outside the window. A pump would come on daily to add water to the tanks. The tank had drains (it was drilled) so when the pump in the barrel started the tank would overflow through the drain.

The barrels were auto filled with a float switch, and somehow I remember they used RO water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.