The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do!Aqua 60-F UPDATED (video link) 10/14/12 ON PAGE 3

9K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Green_Flash 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently visited San Francisco and decided to pick up a Do!Aqua 60-F but kinda regret not getting the ADA instead...oh well same tank, maybe next time I visit again I'll get an ADA.

Here is what I have in the setup.

Light - Odyssea T5 4x24w (currently only using 2x24w)
Filter - Ehiem 2232
Co2 - Aquatek dual guage with solenoid connected to 20oz paintball
Diffuser - ADA style from ebay
Bubble counter - Aquatek bubble counter (I have a Mr. Aqua bubble counter that connectes to the solenoid but since the regulator is on a paintball tank the bubble counter would be horizontal and won't work. I will switch the counter when I get a real 5 lb tank.)
Drop Checker - ADA style from ebay
Substrate - Aquasoil regualr and powder on top (got some regular on top because I move the powder from other tank and couldn't remove all the regular out)

Plants - HC, HM, Rotalas, UG
Will add in some CRS/CBS when dry start is done.

Updated 10/3/12
Added some tropica 049. HC is starting to carpet, going to flood the tank soon.

6/13/12 - DSM until the HC start carpeting and rooting.

This is the drop checker that I'm using for my 60-F but temporarily testing it in my CRS/CBS tank. Hear that the liquid they provide is not accurate so I'm gonna have to buy some 4dkh solution. Can someone please link me or tell me who can I buy from in the forum before I look on [Ebay Link Removed] I'd love to support people on this forum before I give my business to ebay or other sure.

These photos of the regulator was before I noticed that there was a leak and all the Co2 leaked out. It was the brand new and had a leak so I email the company and they sent me another replacement. Aquatek has great customer services.

Heres how it should look when full.

6/24/12 - Seeing some growth

Love how fast they grow. I have the lights on 8hrs a day. Should I leave the lights on longer? Would the HC grow faster when I leave the lights on longer?

See less See more
#3 ·
i noticed a big difference when i left my lights on for 13 hours instead of 8, i just kept my dry start very humid, not too much water, just misting barely on the plants, and spraying the sides of the tank, then keep covered air tight for a few days at a time before they breathe again... so far its working for me in my 10 gal

#8 ·
Just another update I added more stones and my Ludwig and Rotalas. I also put my feeding dish bought from NeoShrimp.

Here is the picture when I first set it up just for some growth comparison.
6/13/12 - Almost a month already, it felt like I had this longer than that. I guess when your waiting to flood the tank time passes slower.

#12 ·
that's a good question. You need to play around with your rocks and substrate. I do see you have your substrate grade up from front to back but you ever thought of different angles? maybe have it concave from both sides (so it grades down into a valley from the left and right side). Adding your rocks inward to give it that spire look.
[something like this (where you see the front rocks dug into the decline valley but sticking out like spear)]

That would be a "fantasy look" to your tank where your kind-of defying the laws of nature.

if you want to learn more about aqua-scaping there is an article here that runs your kind-of through the whole process but who says that is right? Also here is some inspiration tanks here from the top 200 layouts.

(take this with a grain of salt)
Right now your setup if the HC gets carpeted, your gonna have The Shire developed in your tank. the hardscape probably being completely covered up and just seeing the sides.

#23 ·
I flooded my tank yesterday and bumped up the Co2 to prevent HC melting. I also got a U.P. Aqua Super atomizer. Heard bad reviews about it saying that it does not work unless you have high pressure and also some says that it does not produce fine mist type bubbles. For me this atomizer works great not problems with pressure and the bubbles are very fine like mist.

Here is the video on the atomizer. I don't think you can see the very very fine mist. I will post more videos of the mist up later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEiCzloRfo&feature=g-upl

#26 ·
A little update since I added water in tank. I'm starting to have algae on my rocks and can see some forming on the plant leaves. Should I get some otos or lower light. It is a Odyssea 4x24watt but only using 2 bulbs so 2x24 watt for 7 hours a day.

The HC are pearling.

It pearls more where is diffuser is at.

THis is where is algae is at kinda brownish and green. I think its diatoms, hard otos are the best for taking care of this algae.

Since its been only 4 day, would it be too soon to add fish? I have been doing 40% water change everyday since.

#32 ·
There's nothing wrong with snails in a planted tank. The smaller ones all eat detritus and algae. But if you're looking to kill them, potassium permaganate (not sure on time), a 1bleach:10 water solution (3min max) or 2ml to 2 cups water of Bayer's Advanced complete insect killer( rather safe on plants and stuff can go like 10 min, rather brutal on all invertabrate life so you really really need to rinse well). Do these treatments outside the tank on new plants and rinse very thoroughly....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.