The Planted Tank Forum banner

Metal halide or T5 H.O?

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  markstr 
#1 ·
I lucked into finding a local store that offers both t5's and metal halides.
I can get a 150 watt metal halide for around 130 bucks and he offers various sizes in the t5's but the only one suitable for my tank(36g bow) is the 24" duel bulb. Which is around 40 bucks and i'm pretty sure that is with the bulbs included?
What do you fellow aquarium enthusiasts think is my best option?

#3 ·
They are pretty quality products, it is a greenhouse store more or less. But my LFS advised me to buy them from him, said thats what he uses on all his tanks and they work great.
I was considering doing Co2 injections, but idk how soon I would be buying a pressurized co2 kit. I don't think a DIY co2 system would work two well on a 36g

#5 ·
I'm debating, i'm going to be starting up some 10g plant grow tanks and hopefully sell them off. I was planning on running a MH for them, 1 MH for as many as I can squeeze on a stand probably 4 or 5 starting off and doing a diy co2 for them :p.
I also have a 55g cichlid tank that is due for a lighting upgrade so most likely ill add the t5 ho to that one!

#15 ·
This is incorrect.

Yeah, most of the energy that is not converted into light is converted into heat instead, so for that metal halide, 75% of the energy used is converted into radiation. This leads to more expensive cooling bills as well. Yet another thing to factor :)

Imagine a 150w incandescent :eek:

All of the energy, whether or not it is converted to light, will end up as heat. Flourescents and halides watt for watt will put out the same heat.

#14 ·
Yeah, most of the energy that is not converted into light is converted into heat instead, so for that metal halide, 75% of the energy used is converted into radiation. This leads to more expensive cooling bills as well. Yet another thing to factor :)

Imagine a 150w incandescent :eek:

#16 ·
150w of MH over a 36 bow is way to much light even if your using press. co2. you really dont need a ton of light to grow plants, whats more important is ferts and co2. not many people use MH on a FW tank for good reason... its total overkill. the less ligh you have the more managable your aquarium will be, the more light u add makes the balancing act with co2 and ferts a razors edge.
150w MH would be good to grow coral, but not FW plants.
for a 36 bow i would go with 1 T5HO dual bulb fixture. with that you should be able to grow just about anything.

#17 ·
Way to necro a thread. That's interesting if true, but it's the only information i've read that shows figures like that. I cant give source links to refute it, because this was talked about months ago and i'm not interested in running around looking for more information.

#20 ·
I use both, what people are omitting to mention though is that MH has a much nicer light to it. It is more natural and gives the cool ripples.
+1...no other light source can match that glistening effect. Just have to deal with the heat. Or go LED!!!

#19 ·
The chart came from here.
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/publications/pdfs/ssl/thermal_mgt_white_leds.pdf

Before I went with MH I had seen similar information but no idea where, it has been a decade.

There are a few smaller tanks journaled here with MH, very beautiful but operating on a razor's edge. Not something for a first timer to try. Go T5, your electric bill will be smaller and you can have the lights on for longer!

#21 ·
There are really so many factors that go into this. Location is also a biggie...
Depending on how tall the tank is, and how close the Halide is etc etc. will all factor into this.... Amano uses these on all of his tanks for yrs... Really depends on what your tastes are/ budget etc. Pressurized CO2 yes as a givin..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.