The Planted Tank Forum banner

Window 8

3K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  CoffeeLove 
#1 ·
Anyone using window 8? IMO window 8 is annoying, trying to work this thing hurts my brain.

Whats your pro and con about about window 8.

#2 ·
in some ways i find it slower than win7.

interface seems hybrid and more suitable for a touch screen. It would have been far more successful if they did away with the former windows view and kept it solely with tiles to compete with the ios.

driver and hardware support is stellar as to be expected. i find this still easier to configure, tune and tinker than a mac but not as intuitive to use daily as a mac. I run it on a core 2 duo laptop and likely would shine on a more current i5/i7.

i had this OS installed, configured and running within 2 hours so its fairly intuitive. Ive found it far more challenging picking up a new machine with ios and ubuntu.

just my $.02

#21 ·
Unlike Vista, 8 actually runs for me. Vista lived on a test box in the office for about...4 hours.
vista ended up being a failure for lower powered machines, which a lot of people had and made up the majority of complainers when it came out. I had a quad-core 8gb ram machine, so vista was great for me. 7 was even better and I love the OS. 8, since it is such a hybrid of an OS (desktop/tablet) is doing so much better on those lower powered devices than vista ever could

Have yet to find someone who likes it... personally all it's done me is drive me one step closer to a Mac.
I've a developer friend who loves 8. what don't you like about it? I've yet to play with it. as a programmer I'm not ready to move my work station over to it.

#5 ·
I haven't played with the full fledged version yet. I have a Windows 8 RT Surface Tablet.

• I like the touch screen; I find myself poking at my regular laptop screen when I switch back, LOL.
  • It took a little while for me to get comfortable with the Win8 RT interface. I find it ok now, but not stellar.
  • I consider the Surface RT slow and glitchy as a web surfing device. I find myself closing tabs and reopening them a lot to get sites to finish loading. A lot of sites have content that simply won't run in the browser. Sometimes this content shows up as an X or a blank spot on the page. Other times (especially with ad content) it simply prevents the page from loading. To be fair, I have noticed the performance of a lot of web pages has improved lately. I don't know if the web designers are fixing their sites or if Microsoft has put out some patches.
  • Some things I need or use a lot won't run at all. I couldn't use it to update the maps on my Garmin. There's no Pandora plug in. Amazon streaming videos won't run.
  • The emphasis on Microsoft products irritates me a bit. When I already have a mail account, an Amazon account, and a Pandora account, I really don't want to have to sign up for the Microsoft entertainment equivalents.
  • The Surface Tablet has a built in SD port and USB port, which is a big win over the iPad IMO.
  • I like the sound quality better on the iPad.
These days the Surface mostly sits on my nightstand for casual web surfing: stuff like checking the news headlines. I do any serious work on my Windows XP or Windows 7 PCs.

#11 ·
I like most people, don't like 8 but I hear it's pretty sweet on a touchscreen which figures since it was designed for touchscreen.
What bothers me is that Microsoft doesn't seem to realize there is a metric buttload of non-touchscreen computers out there (yup, even brand new ones) that need a good modern OS, not a shiny flashy touchscreen POSOS.

If I happen to run across a copy of Win8 I'll try classic shell, but since I just bought another copy of 7, I don't think I'm in much danger.

#13 ·
As a power user and programmer I HATE Windows 8. Really tired of Microsoft progressively dumbing things down, "protecting" me from myself, and trying to turn desktop computers into glorified smartphones.

Anyone remember light pens? If so, you might also remember one of the big reasons they were quickly replaced by mice. Holding your arm out horizontally to interact with a desktop screen is quickly fatiguing, if you're doing any real work. Sacrificing mouse usability for touchscreen usability, on a desktop computer? Lunacy.

When forced to use Win8, I too use the classic shell. When I get my choice of Windows OS, it's XP.

#16 ·
Strangely enough, I kinda like win8. From a performance standpoint, it's pretty awesome running from an SSD on my older DDR2 hardware.

From a stability standpoint, I haven't had too many problems with it. I can run gaming and basic picture editing, etc.

One really annoying glitch: If I plug in my Samsung GS3 to my desktop, it will cause windows 8 to "invalidate" itself. I cannot get it to go through Windows Validation until I unplug the GS3.

Prior to this, I was running Ubuntu 10.04, so I'm used to hunting around for options. ;) I only went back to Windows so I could game with my girlfriend.

#30 ·
I had no choice... there were no Win7 machines to buy and I had to replace my desktop computer. I hate the apps. Now I have an extra step to avoid them when I turn on the machine. Aside from that, and learning a whole new way to turn things off and where to find my calculator, it runs fine. My printer still doesn't have a driver for it so I can scan things, which is annoying. Hopefully they'll finish it soon. My new computer is HP, and I hate the screenlock they put on the monitor so it won't turn off. I wish they had a setting so I could just turn the lock off. It gets set randomly (I guess I'm holding it for a split second longer when I turn it off sometimes and it gets set again) and then it won't turn off.

#35 ·
I hate HP :) the only brand i trust right now is Dell. My old Dell desktop from 12 yr ago still work and run fast.

This is why its best to build your laptop/desktop from head to toe.
i wouldn't own a dell if u gave it to me brand new
ur 12 year old dell is of much better build quality than the new ones today
maybe im just the unlucky one

i won't give details because it'll turn into a review. but lets just say my work has a contract with them and man we sure do have to buy a lot to keep them going, and i wont own one again for a personal computer and DEFINITELY NOT A LAPTOP

#34 ·
Bah, no offence, but no desktop full of 12 year old parts is going to hold a candle to even a midrange new machine. It may seem fast and it may be fast enough for the tasks you are doing but if you try a new machine it'll hurt your feelings.

My old computer was about 5 years old and pretty fast for it's time but my new computer is easily twice as fast in any performance test I care to throw at them and the new one is no where near cutting edge.

#37 ·
Becarefull now people ^^ this thread might get close too.
Lol its that time of the month u know ^^

Anyways...
The desktop dell I'm using was build for homework,paper stuff but I still game on pushing the desktop to it full yet it still work till today.

$1200 on a HP desktop didnt last 2 yr, $800 HP laptop didn't last 2 yr, $1500 HP laptop didn't last 2 yr. After going through all that I gave up on HP.

#39 ·
$1200 on a HP desktop didnt last 2 yr, $800 HP laptop didn't last 2 yr, $1500 HP laptop didn't last 2 yr. After going through all that I gave up on HP.
prime example of WHY you should learn how to build your own!!

been building mine for a while now, my personal computer at this point has fallen behind due to fish tank spending. but its still ticking overclocked at 4.2 ghz on an AMD phenom x4 9950 BE (phenom 1 not 2)
and its been that way for 5 years. and my previous built computer is 10 years old and it runs windows 7 just fine. just needed a new motherboard to support the OS. and it was a 20 dollar motherboard from newwegg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.