The Planted Tank Forum banner

What type of Goby?

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  plaakapong 
#1 ·

Some type of goby, didn't have a scientific name and I don't remember the common name. It is supposed to eat algae, but instead it ate all of my boraras!

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi there. I can see the pictures because I am a member in the houstonfishbox.

The goby you have there is either a stiphodon or Sicyopterus.
I think is the second one. Are you sure it ate your boraras? I have mine with endlers and they have not bother them at all.

#16 ·
Can you see them now?
Yes. That is a Sicyopterus jonklassi (or something similair). I'm not surprised that he's going after your boras. I have one of these in my yo-yo tank, and I've seen him (her?) hunt down RCS. For a time there was an evil emperor tetra that would harrass him, but he would fight back and actually held his own against the much larger fish.

Batch

#11 ·
Looks like a sicyopterus or sicyopus. I would guess that the fish was dead already but anything is possible. My similar gobies don't get around quick enough to catch another fish. The goby may have brought some kind of pathogen with it or it may just be coincidental that your rasboras died after it came.

#19 ·
Not confused, my stiphodons don't look anything like sicyopterus. I have two 3-4 inch sicyopterus sp. that are tireless algae grazers, But I've never seen them eat any given foods. Mine are very docile and don't travel fast enough to catch and kill another fish IMO. I have seen my stiphodons eat about anything that I put in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.