The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does Eco-Complete/Fourite make sand look "ugly"?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  malkore 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've kept aquariums for quite some time, but I've never bothered to tackle live plants. I'm going to be setting up a 46g tank soon, and it's time to make the next step!

I'm planning to use sand - pool filter sand - just because I love the look of a light colored substrate. However, since I've also decided to go the live plant route, I'm planning to put 2" of either Eco-Complete or Flourite below 1" to 1-1/2" of sand. My concern is that the Eco-Complete or Flourite will eventually work its way up into the sand, and my white sand will become an ugly sand-speckled-with-black/brown-fertilizer mixture. Does that happen or does the Eco-Complete/Flourite do a good job staying below the top layer?

I just can't imagine how it doesn't at least get a little messy either from installing the plants the first time, possibly moving plants around to replant them in a different spot, accidental uprootings or whatever.

Comments?

#7 ·
chrisl said:
alot of eco users are supplementing w/ black moon sand however.
There are some, yes, and moon sand works cuz it blends in. Most claim they add sand because 'my plants won't stay rooted in Eco'.

To this I say "you're not planting them right, or your substrate wasn't deep enough to allow you to plant right".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.