The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do shrimp jump/crawl out of the tank?

27K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  randyl 
#1 ·
Do shrimp jump out of the tank? If there is a moss wall, will they crawl out? I want to know if they need a full cover on the tank.

Thanks!

#7 ·
I can confirm that Amanos survive a bit crawling out of the tank. Open top setup in my case as well. They jump or crawl out of the tank because there's something nasty going on in there. They did this every time I over fed, I'm guessing it was either ammonia or a nitrate spike due to excessive organic left over.

An emergency water change resolves the problem but you might want to check water parameters and try to not over feed them if this is the case. They will not starve if fed once every couple of days. Avoid high protein food, try to grow algae.

#15 ·
I have shrimps from CRS to PFRs to Orange jump out of tank. Funny things is, in the 1 year of shrimping, all of the jump occurred in a 2 weeks span, nothing before, nothing after. I do have cover on most of my tanks now though other than one semi-show tank in the living room (and no shrimp jump from that tank after that 2 weeks span either).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.