The Planted Tank Forum banner

No metal stands for 90g tanks? And a question about silicone seams...

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GraphicGr8s 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in fairly small quarters, so I tend to hate the solid stands (think pine) I actually have the standard pine stand for a 125 in my living room which I'm going to refinish one day. However it is impossible to find an open style metal stand for a 90g and I could never afford to have one made. I bought two nice, black, modern looking ones for 55g tanks from Petco last summer - a style called Manhattan, since discontinued - and I was hoping to get something similar for a 90g. The open look metal stands obviously don't look so clunky in a small room and I can put things I collect under them (mostly stuff like old pottery jugs and antlers, etc. I like the Colonial America look, and y'know big aquariums on metal stands were very popular back then)

Here's my dilemma; finally, after waiting since June, my coworker's son has decided to give me his 90g and his homemade stand. Now I haven't seen a photo of the stand yet so it might not look as bad as it sounds - lol - but according to my coworker it is extremely heavy. I'm not too fond of the thought of lots of extra unnecessary weight, and she should know what a regular stand weighs since she had a 90g herself at one time. Btw, she gave hers away, too - wish I knew her then! Also, the style of the stand is barn wood. She thinks it's gorgeous and wants it for an outdoor plant stand if I don't want it. I'm worried it looks like a Beverly Hillbillies Special - haha. We'll see, they are supposed to take a pic so I can see it on her phone.

Here's another question for you; can a filthy tank ruin the silicone seams? The reason they are getting rid of the tank is because no one wants to maintain it. I feel so sorry for the fish in it - plecos (poop machines) and others - my coworker says the water is so filthy they can't see the fish well, and it's stinking up the whole house. She says it's been like that for a while. She said that back in June too, so it has been a while. I already made the mistake last year of buying a craigslist 55g that had been saltwater - only to find after cleaning it that the seams were shot. I gave it to Goodwill and bought a new one at Petco's $1 sale rather than reseal it. Even thought this tank is free, if it turns out to be trashed I may not bother to reseal it. Being free I want to get it and see anyhow. I can get a new 75 on a metal stand for about $275 at my lfs. I don't know if that's expensive or not, but it's only 15 gallons smaller than this freebie.

Wish me luck, and if you know of anyone online that sells metal stands for 90s, let me know! (I'll be calling the lfs to see if they can order one).

edit for another question;

Since I just found out that the footprint of a 90 and a 75 is the same (only difference is height and total weight of the filled tank) do you think a metal stand advertised for a 75 (Fosters & Smith is what I've found) will hold the weight of a full 90? I could possibly make the 90 a riparium which would cut down on the weight...

Here's what I'm looking at - they say it's designed for double tanks...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9883

See less See more
#2 ·
Before you spend $275 @ the LFS. It might be worth the effort to find a welder and see what it might cost to have one built.

I had mine done for under $250 included the steel 1.25" sq. stock, the welding work and I had it powder coated.

Maybe your welding labor cost might be lower than Chicago area. You'll need to search out a small shop or a someone working from home to keep cost down. Power coat isn't necessary a good paint job will work.

#3 ·
I did find a local welding/fabrication shop when looking for someone to make a top rim for my 125 (one of the braces is broken off and I keep the tank from bowing with a steel clamp). I never called them because I don't have any spare $$ for a few months - in the winter they slash our hours at work, and I am having about $2500 of improvements done to my mobile home next month. That will tap me out. However I'm rather excited about the double stand at Foster & Smith. I'm in no hurry to set up the 90 (who knows when I'll actually get it) - I have a 55 that's ready to be set up and that would occupy me until I save for the 90's stand. I'll still contact the welder about a rim for the 125 though - it can't hurt to see what they charge. Thanks for reminding me! lol

#4 ·
I have that stand, but it's the 10 gallon version. They are very sturdy, so would probably hold the weight. I'd be more concerned about stability due to the extra height of the tank. These stands are taller than most, since they need to have enough space for a second tank on the bottom and even my 10 gallon seems a little unstable unless I have a tank on the lower level.

I have larger tanks on these stands and am happy with them, but they're not metal.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3732+9881&pcatid=9881

#5 ·
I was thinking about stability myself - I have a twin 29g stand that is set up the same way. The 29s are stable, but to raise them up higher so I can view the bottom tank better I put a cinder block base under them (finished looking, not just raw cinder blocks!). Anyhow, I was thinking about doing the same thing if I get the 75g double stand; raise it higher on a solid base, then put the 90g on the bottom level and use the top as a shelf (and also a place to hand the lighting from). I have live edge wide lumber slabs here and marine varnish. I think I could whip up a water proof/very resistant shelf and put things on it.

#7 ·
Thanks for letting me know - it's great to see people have these stands (which I've never heard of before). They have excellent reviews, and now I'm rethinking all my plans for future tanks. It would be so nice to use these stands so that I could add more tanks at will - lol. Instead of using my Manhattan stands for aquariums, I may get a double 55 stand to use someday. The Manhattan stands would make nice bases for sofa tables, haha. God knows I have enough slab lumber to make them. As a matter of fact, I have two gorgeous figured live edge walnut slabs right now that are book matched and 77" long by 15" or so wide. hmm...

#8 ·
I've got metal stands for most of my tanks. Old school. All welded no bolts. The 90 is the same footprint as the 75. I've got metal stand for my 75. It is a double. Sure. You could put another 75 below. You could but you'd never get your hands into it. Right now I've got a 40B under and it's a little tight.

Anyway. They're still made. Out of angle iron welded. The big box stores in my experience don't carry them but my LFSs do. Stand for a 75/90 is a bit over $100. 55 is about $90.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.