9K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  hydrophyte 
#1 · (Edited)
Just started a riparium.

Tank: 15G High
Substrate: Pool Sand/Gravel
Planter Substrate: Hydroton Pebbles/Gravel Cap
Lighting: 2 Home Depot Lamps - 26W 6500K bulbs each
Filter: Modified Eheim 2213
Fauna: 8 Indian Whisker Shrimp, 4 Endlers (males), 1 Guppy (male), 4 Leftover Neons
Flora: Peace Lily, Nerve Plant, Purple Queen

Currently I have some garden plants I've thrown in. I've put plants in that I've seen in other riparium threads. I haven't scaped the bottom yet. I have some driftwood, currently waterlogging, waiting to go it.

I'm new to the riparium scene. I've done some research, but I'm still a newb. Hopefully this doesn't fail horribly. Some of you riparium guys need to get in here and give me some guidance. :icon_conf

YouTube Video - 15G Riparium

See less See more
#7 ·
Why does the African Mask flake out? Is it because of the wet condition or lack of proper substrate? Is there anything, about that size, that you recommend I substitute the plant with if it takes a turn for the worst?

Also why does the fittonia need rafters? Is it because the plants roots are sensitive? I plan to get those from you regardless.

As for the fish (mostly leftover specimens):

Fauna: 8 Indian Whisker Shrimp, 4 Endlers (males), 1 Guppy (male), 4 Leftover Neons

#9 ·
That looks like a very good lighting solution for a small riparium--cheap but effective.

I grew 'African Mask' once and it rooted well in the planter, but after a few months it died all at once. I understand that it has an obligate dormancy requirement and if it is too wet as it tries to go dormant the tuber will just start to rot.

I think that Fittonia is not a real water plant. I tried it once and it did not root very well in a riparium planter. It does OK however if just rooted in the water on a trellis raft. Oxygen is more available in the open water than in saturated gravel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.