The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 90-P faulty. Or...?

18K views 130 replies 36 participants last post by  Matsnork 
#1 ·
I´ve got a bit of a delicate conundrum and would like some input from other ADA aquarium owners.

Would you say that it is within acceptable limits that the side panels on a brand new ADA 90-P are slightly skewed by about 3mm? The sides are not exactly parallell wich results in the corners not being exactly 90-degrees. Because of this the aquarium does not line up perfectly with my cabinet.

Am I just picky or should I expect perfection for the premium price payed for this item?

Picture illustrating the issue. The problem is mirrored on the other side:

See less See more
#38 ·
Here is mine, it's super bubbly just like yours. I found it a bit odd but didn't say anything.

Also, what is this? Is it missing some silicone? I have this but it's very small and not as much as yours.

So unless, ADA's manufacturer has a bad batch of tanks, I'm not sure what we could do. I haven't even measure the 90' degree angle of my tank. I need those T-square, a wooden ruler doesn't measure the length very well.

#39 · (Edited)
That bubble thing looks worse in the picture than irl. Not shure what it is really. I think it is an imperfection reflecting up through the bewel making it seem bigger.

Edit: But look att the angle the front pane is glued. The difference in seam thickness is quite noticeable. Got to be at least 2mm.

#40 ·
Matsnork,

I've owned a bunch of the ADA tanks in the past back when they had the old sticker. The silicone work on them was meticulous to say the least. Your pictures look nothing like what I am used to from ADA and if I received an ADA tank like that, I think I would be upset. I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

I don't know what the aquarium industry is like in your area of the world but I know locally for me, I can get tanks of ADA quality from local builders. You may want to ask around and see what you can find.

-Charlie

#41 ·
Does ADA have an English contact? I want to ask them their opinion on this. Does anyone else have bubble in their ADA stickers on new tanks? It's kind of bugging me now. I haven't even shown you guys the silicone job on my tank, it's not what someone would call great. My Fluval has better a better silicone job than my 60-P.

#42 ·
percieved quality and service really. to be honest, these large tanks are generally special order items and not something readily stocked at any retail outlet. if you had a problem or issue with these in North america, dont expect them to send a replacement tank or offer a refund. you'll likely be told that the warranty is void because its not on an ada stand... which is what happened to one of our local members.

The small ada tanks may be passable in quality but for larger tanks, i certainly would raise the bar on scrutiny since you want to know what you are getting for your near $1000 usd purchase...

#43 ·
percieved quality and service really. to be honest, these large tanks are generally special order items and not something readily stocked at any retail outlet. if you had a problem or issue with these in North america, dont expect them to send a replacement tank or offer a refund. you'll likely be told that the warranty is void because its not on an ada stand... which is what happened to one of our local members.

The small ada tanks may be passable in quality but for larger tanks, i certainly would raise the bar on scrutiny since you want to know what you are getting for your near $1000 usd purchase...
Why would poor workmanship be affected by what stand you use? If the tank cracks, yes, but it's pretty obvious the workmanship is bad. The stand didn't cause the tank to have crappy workmanship.

#50 ·
Matsnork, looking at that silicone job that slowly disappear down the line is an eye sore. Mine doesn't even have that, I don't think even a normal tank has that.

I sent a quick email to ADA's english department, the sticker bubble is formed by "external factor" is *according to them* completely normal. I'm thinking the worldwide shipping and storage caused this effect, we both live pretty far away from them.

Try sending them the pictures of the silicone and misshapen sides, I'm certain ADA will send someone to Mr.Amano's office right away. Like an HC Cuba uproot problem appearing in their display tank, they won't let it slide!

#55 ·
This. I received a 60P from ADG today. Silicone work on the corners was lazily trimmed and I need to cut a few pieces. What happened to the top-of-the-line goodness that ADA used to be known for with their tanks? I have a Mini M that's flawless and even my AquaTop cube had less crud in the corners than my 60P does. :icon_ques:thumbsdow

#57 ·
I already trimmed it to remove the excess. Basically just slivers of silicone creeping up from the corners. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but still...to pay for an item from a company that's supposed to be known for the quality and having nothing interfere with the aquascape, I find it a bit annoying to have to trim silicone work myself that should be nearly flawless from the factory.

#58 ·
I recently ordered my first ADA tank (60-p), and I too, was not as impressed as I hoped to be with the quality of work. The clarity is great and at least the corners are square (I have seen reports on issues with that too lately on ADA tanks). But the silicone work on the corners was far below the quality I expected.

The silicone work on the corners really seemed to be no better than some of the cheaper ADA knock-offs available now.

#71 ·
The expensive part of ordering a custom "ADA" jar from a local glass fabricator is the beveled edges I think. The beveling requires lots of work and a BIG sanding machines. Thick low iron glass + beveling + extra delicate and time consuming silicone work = expensive. At least it is here in Sweden.

On topic:

ADA Germany is apperantly back from vacation and my mail will go them through my local ADA dealer. Now I just hope they and ADA Japan can read english good enough, added lots of pictures just in case. :/

#80 ·
That's very interesting. Something to do with marketing.
I have been looking forward to ADG's retail store for like the past 2 years or more since it was announced. I wonder how this will change their store since they are no longer a distributor.

I'm curious how Frank leaving would cause ADA to terminate their agreement with ADG, someone who they've done business with for so long. Aqua Forest Aquarium (Archaea International) doesn't have a marketing guy and they still kept their contract.

Hopefully AFA won't raise their prices on ADA stuff as they no longer have any competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.