The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filtering a 10 gallon

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  HybridHerp 
#1 ·
I have 2 penguin 100's, and one of them just isn't really working that well...I'm considering just replacing it with something but idk what would be ideal.

I'm considering HOB's and plan on running my 1 penguin 100 still because...I mean I have it and it works so why not......but there is a small part of me that wonders what a canister would do on the tank.....only thing with that is that its more expensive and I don't have a good place to hide it per say, though I could perhaps make it work if I wanted to spend the money on it.....but idk if the spraybar would be too much flow for a 10 gallon or whatnot.

Thoughts or ideas? Or just recommendations?

#5 ·
hrmmm, would a 2211 work just as well for a 10 as a 2213?

I'm really debating how to do this the best way....................

I'm almost thinking of doing a canister on the 10, and moving one of the penguin 100's to my 5.5 to allow that tank to have more than one filter on it....and then the penguin 100 I have already can have very little mechanical filtration stuff...and the canister can have more mechanical stuff since that shouldn't need to be cleaned out nearly as often as a HOB I'd imagine.....

How often does one clean out a 2211 or 2213 when being used on a 10 gallon tank?

#6 ·
Sorry to bump this but I am heavily considering doing an ehiem alongside one of the penguin 100's that I have. I just want to know if a 2211 would suffice or if I should go 2213?

#8 ·
The ehiem 2211 should be plenty for a 10 gal. It is rated for up to 40gal tank (although I think that's pushing it) and has a 60gal/hour flow rate. That means that your tank would flow through it 6 times in an hour which is plenty. Especially if you plan on running the penguin 100 along side it. Normally its suggested that your filter pump your tank water through at least 5 times per hour. Some like doing a lot more filtration, but on such a small tank would probably be a waste.

Also, the penguin 100 should be adequate by itself on a 10gal. If you wanted more filtration and want to save money, maybe just buy another penguin 100 as they are a small fraction of the price of any canister filter. This way you could use the old one for parts, and be able to use the same media cartridges etc. I have a penguin filters and love them. I think the biowheel helps to keep a stable biocolony going for when you clean out the filter/change cartridges etc.

As for cleaning, normally once a canister is set up, you only have to clean every couple months or so, sometimes even less. I would think you would want your HOB to do most of the mechanical filtering as its easy to clean and check, then let your canister do the bulk of bio-filtering so you don't have to open it up that often.

Overall, if you have the money, go for a canister filter as they are better in the long run. Just not needed on smaller tanks though. Most people suggest you get a canister on tanks 15-20 gallons or larger.

#10 ·
I already have a 2 penguin 100's on my 10 gallon :p

But I'm just getting super annoyed at CONSTATNLY having to replace the pads and whatnot every other week....its really getting costly and I'm wanting to do something that requires less maintenance. But then again perhaps that can be fixed by simply using a different thing int he filter rather than floss or those cartridges they make for it. Any ideas?

If I did do the canister though, I'd keep the penguin 100 on the 10 as well, so I guess I'd still have the same issue....and I'd throw the other penguin 100 on the 5.5 I have (cause I like double filters for some reason....even though that may be a bad idea since I also like floaters and its a small tank.....)

#9 ·
i have a 2073 on a 6 gallon HAHA :icon_evil. Seriously, if it had a control valve - it's very easy to dial in GREAT FLOW.. I thought I was going to make my tank turn into a tornado and i very well can but I'm like 1/2 open and it runs beautifully compared to POS HOB's haha (i'll never go back to an HOB again)

#11 ·
Nothing ever wrong with having 2 filters. If I were you, I would probably opt for the canister and HOB option. This gives you another filter to add to your other tank. The canister will do a great job, and the combo should have your water in great shape.

As for media for the penguins, you don't have to change the cartridge every week or so. Just cut a small slit in the top and dump out the carbon. It's not really needed anyway. So you can dump it after it gets "used up", approximately 1-2 weeks. The blue filter floss material on there will last for a lot longer, just rinse in some tank water after your water change. Important to use tank water as you don't want to kill the beneficial bacteria.

Another way to save is buying filter floss in bulk and making your own cartridges. Many ppl rip off the blue stuff once its pretty beat up, and then attach a piece of bulk filter floss to the plastic frame that's left. Here's a link to the floss I'm talking about...

http://www.bigalspets.com/filter-floss-10-sq-ft.html

That's 10 square feet, enough to make 40 or so penguin 100 size cartridges for $7.

A sponge prefilter for the intake on the penguin and/or the canister would help keep the big stuff out of the filter, but then you have to clean the prefilter.

Any way you look at it, you will have some maintenance, with the canister you will to do maint. less often but its a little more involved when you do. With the HOB you have to do maint. a little more often, but its a little easier. Sorta like 6 in one and half dozen in the other.

#12 ·
Hrm, I'm liking the idea more and more of doing 1 canister one HOB. And yah, I keep changing the pads because they got clogged up soooooo fasttttttt, but getting that filter floss you linked me too might also save me a heck of a lot of headaches and such. Pending on money things I might just keep the two HOBs, but I'd like to move one of them to my 5.5 that I want to re-do.

Question though, what canister? I was looking at the eheim 2211 or 2213 since I'm familiar with eheim filters already, but someone sent me an interesting offer for a 2217....I use two of those on my 75 and I feel like it might be serious overkill....but if I can get that for cheaper than a 2211 or 2213...I guess why not? Or am I right in thinking that aside from being overkill that it would be too much flow?

#14 ·
The eheim 2217 would be a bit of overkill, but you can always dial it down to reduce flow. Use the spray bar and point it backwards against the glass or something like that. If you can get a 2217 cheaper than the other smaller models, than you may as well get it. But if not, the 2211 would be fine as you also have another filter running with it. You may want the 2213 or higher if that was the only filter you were going to use. I personally wouldn't buy a used filter unless it was from a trusted friend that didn't abuse it and that you knew it wasn't many years old. Just like everything, stuff only lasts for so long before it starts breaking, and if you get a used one that's already been used for a few years, it may not have too much life left in it. On the other hand a new model has a warranty, and all the parts and manuals etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.