The Planted Tank Forum banner

Substrate for Chocolate Neos

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  KenP 
#1 ·
I know dark (black) substrate is pretty popular with many of the shrimps (CRS, Fire Reds, etc.) to help bring out the color.

But I was wondering what everyone else would recommend for the Chocolate Neos who are already dark. Would something light like PFS help bring out the color better? I would think a black substrate would make them disappear...LOL.

#4 ·
i ended up mixing some black sand and pool filter sand for the oebt i had cause on black sand all you would see was little orange eyes moving around and on pool filter they would get really light colored. i used mainly pool filter sand with a really thin layer of black over it so as they picked though the sand it would mix. it worked out really well

#5 ·
Many of my chocolates are black, and I'm thinking nothing's gonna make them fade, the color so solid through their shells. Unfortunately their tanks have dark substrates, one with Fluval Shrimp Substrate (the Ebi tank) the other with black old fashioned inert gravel (the hex). They are lost in their tanks unless they're in the weeds near the glass where I can see em.

I am thinking of setting up a new 10 gallon tank where I can put just the chocolates... and may try a lighter colored substrate so I might see more of them. (Just need to find space for a new tank! LOL!)

#6 ·
#10 ·
Liking the pool filter sand. Is it inert? Where can I get some? :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#12 · (Edited)
I'd skip mixing dark and light substrates. Not always a natural look.

If you go the pool filter sand route, be sure you shop around to find one that suits your aesthetic, as there are dozens of looks and colors on the market.

Some can look quite nice:

Up close with Corydoras habrosus:

Some can look rather janky. Since it's all pretty cheap, check around for different brands, colors and grades.

#19 ·
Still a bit curious about pool sand. Is it sold in transparent plastic bags so you can see what you're getting... and is it inert?

#22 ·
play sand tends to compact more. i like the pool filter sand cause it stays loose. plus with play sand you really have to wash it alot to get it clean where as pool filter sand is ready to just dump in no need to rinse it several times. pool filter sand is totally irnert so it doesnt change the chemistry in the pool. its used to polish the water i think. this is what mine looked like when i got it.

#23 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Surprisingly, there seems to be a lot of chocolate love here. :D I like the look you got speedie, exactly what I was thinking of in my head...so I guess I will be giving PFS a try with the chocolate neos. Thanks again!

#25 ·
Okay... Will be on the lookout for pool sand... Gonna have to check out PetCo, see if they're still having their dollar a gallon sale. Think I need a 10 gallon tank. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.