The Planted Tank Forum banner

12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe!

644K views 2K replies 297 participants last post by  saltmeup 
#1 · (Edited)

Featured is J&H's 12G Long

12 Gallon Long Rimless Club
(Mr. Aqua or GLA)

Hi! As I have discussed with a few fellow members with 12 gallon long tanks, it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to just 12 gallon long tanks. Its basically a thread dedicated to our small 12G long community in hopes of keeping it always exciting and drawing new interests everyday. This thread is open for ideas, questions, suggestions, etc. as a whole. Whether you already have a 12G long, looking for ideas how to design it, or simply thinking to get one, I want this thread and its members to help you in whichever way possible :biggrin:

Goals:
* Have your very own community focusing on 12G longs.
* Learn, inspire, share & support (Remember it as L.I.S.S).
* Give RAOK(s) from your very own 12G tank(s) for newcomers or to those in need when you have extra.
* Have fun! This is what it is all about ;)

Your Support Needed!: Link to our club by adding the pre-setup link below to your signature box. Just copy & paste to your signature box.

SMALL

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/izhPHb9PWOp01.gif[/IMG][/URL]
LARGE

HTML:
 [URL="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168088"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iZhHcht953vTM.gif[/IMG][/URL]
It will look like this in your signature box if done correctly:

Banner Designed by Brian_Cali77

12G Journals = If you would like to recommend a journal - or of your own - to be added here, feel free to shoot me a PM! :bounce:

ADA: Panoramic Mountain Scape - CRS Habitat
Ach1Ll3sH33L: Ach1lL3s 12 long White Mountain
Amazonfish: Lara's 12 gallon long 'Tango'
andrewjohn007: 12g Long DSM with MTS
Anhvu: -="Bees Playground" Anh's Mr Aqua 12G Long=-
auski: Alan's Mr Aqua 12 gallon long
Aww: Aww's Scape #2 (Mr. Aqua 12G)

Bananariot: 12 Gallon Long Banana
BeastMaster: "Kahawai" 12 gallon long
beedee: Tranquil Valley // 12g Long Iwagumi
bigd603: 12 Gallon Wicked Long!

CalmSeasQuest: CalmSeasQuest's 12G Long Iwagumi
cdunson82: 12 gallon long first timer
CryptKeeper54: CryptKeeper54's Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

dasob85: G's 12g long planted with driftwood
defiant: MR. Aqua's 12g Long Iwagumi Madness II the end!
DrakeScree: Drake's 12g long!!!!!!

El Funko: El Funko's Ubiquitous 12G Long
endgin28: The Black Gate GLA 12 long Iwagumi

_FC: First planted 12g Long (56K warning)

g33tar: g33tar's 12g Mr.Aqua -First planted tank
Geronimoumd: Geronimoumd's 12 Gal Long Journal - "The Jungle Nook"

HeathBar: 12g long - Low tech/low maintance

Kai808: Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM
Kosey929: 12G Long shrimp & tiny fish tank/very expensive cat water dish

larcat: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long Mountainscape. Stocking ideas?

manualfocus: 12 Gallon Long Rimless "Escape"
mayphly: Mayphly's 12 Gallon RimlessTank
meowschwitz: Meow's 12G Long — "Triple Summit"
micr0: micr0's 12 Gallon Long
mweng0385: mweng0385**Mr. Aqua 12 Long**Journal (56K Beware)
mythin: Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long

natebuchholz: 12 Long Journal...Creative Title
NeoShrimp: Miss My's 1st Iwagumi Journal: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long
nerdariostomp: Nerdariostomp's 12g long

PJM: Mr. Aqua 12 Bookshelf Frameless Aquarium Journal

Ranbaral: Ranbaral: 12g long, Iwagumi on a budget
rdmustang1: A Twist on Mr. Aqua 12 Long
rocksmom: rocksmom's 12 Long Blue Velvet Haven
RumbleFish: Rumble's First Planted (12G Long)

sayurasem: Ray's 12 Gallon Loooooooong Journal Substrate Swap Completed
senor0kun: Another 12 gallon long
smracer31: 12 gallon long coffee table tank
somewhatshocked: Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy)

the_intricacy: the_Intricacy's 12g Long... double-fisted!
therash: therash's 12 gallon long

Waddy015: 12 Gallon Long Mr. Aqua

yellowsno: YellowSno's 12 gallon long... now with bba problems :(

See less See more
#35 ·
Anyone have a Mr. Aqua Sticker I could buy/trade with?

Thought I'd ask here first before asking on the SnS Thread.
My bf and I are setting up a new tank over this weekend and realized that the used Mr. Aqua tank be bought doesn't have a sticker. Hopefully someone knows where we could buy one, or better yet, have one they don't really need and could sell 1 to us or trade for something :icon_mrgr

#44 ·
Looks like you are starting with immersed? Very smart move. Saves so much time and money that way. Any more clear shots? Its bit fuzzy so can't really see the layout of the setting :D

#49 ·
Single Marineland is a load of #$*(, to be frank with you. I wouldn't use it to light up a goldfish tank.

The 36" fixture has more LEDs than the 24" so it makes a big difference. It's the only fixture that I truly enjoy from Marineland. Also have the 24" units on some 20Ls that are low light moss & crypt tanks and they're fine for that. Could even use two of them on a 20L without a problem.

But the 36" on this short tank is a problem if you don't want to run CO2 and dose EI. ADA (a forum member) ran into problems with his and had to raise it. I've had to do the same with mine. It's 16-18" (I'm guessing - I would have to look at my journal to know for sure) from the substrate at different areas of the tank. Crypts, E. parkeri, Marsilea minuta, Bacopa australis and Anubias are all doing swell with it raised high.

#64 ·
Finally. "Step Two" complete. Just found a Fluval 205 on super sale [they're being discontinued so the lfs had a good deal]. I'm thinking that with a spraybar or powerhead in the tank it should be fine.

Now now I have a tank and a filter. Lights are next. Then some awesome wood.This build goes so slowly on a budget, but I want to wait and get the good stuff...:confused1:

sox

#65 ·
Okay, So I am planning to get a Eheim Canister Filter 2213 (is this strong enough), a spray bar for it (where can I get this?) and 2 26w Light like Neo has.

Is this good enough for this tank?

Also, the pipe that came with the Eheim Canister, will that be too long?

If I don't want a Canister filter, what kid of HOB can I get?

Thanks!

#66 ·
Eheim 2213s come with spray bars. However, they won't be long enough to cover your entire tank. You'll need to create one yourself out of rigid tubing. You can see how to do so in my thread or in the threads of others who have commented here.

Eheim intake tubes are too long/tall for this tank but they're easy to cut down with a hacksaw or Dremel.

There are so many HOB filters on the market that it's up to you to pick the one you like, really. AquaClear seems to be a favorite HOB brand here on the forum, as it's affordable and easy to modify.

#75 ·
This thread was pointed out to me by sockfish. Thanks!

My 12G Mr. Aqua has been running for about a year now. I started with a single Finnex PX-360 filter which needs pretty regular cleaning to keep the flow going. About a week ago I hooked up an Eheim 2026, but had to use a ~30" spray bar to keep the substrate on the bottom, and not the top :). This tank is viewable front and back and the long spray bar is getting on my nerves. I finally decided to try 2 PX-360s, one on each end. I should have the second Finnex installed over the weekend and the Eheim delegated to something else.

I do like my tanks bright, very bright. I have a 2x39w Hagen Glo light with pressurized CO2 on this guy and that seems to work for me.

#245 ·
I've been following this thread because I adore these tanks.
My favorite tank is my long and shallow 6.6 gallon and I would love to upgrade to a 12 gallon long one day.
But I have to say..
This tank, your tank.... Did you know it looks exactly like the hundred acre woods?

#76 ·
A RAOK for "members" ;)

Hey guys, so I love how this thread is growing for all of us who already have a 12G long and those who are inspired by our tanks.

To further expand the 12G long's interest for everyone and to thank those who have posted here, answered questions, etc. I have decided I will start the 1st RAOK just for our club on April 1st. I will not expose what I will RAOK but I am sure you guys will like it :hihi:

If you want to get a head start to participate in this RAOK, 1 of the requirement is to have the "12G Rimless Club" under your signature box :icon_wink

#77 ·
Raok #1!

Hello guys, I am very impressed with all the tanks I have seen posted so far and how it helped inspired many others to get one. Have gotten a couple members who said they have joined Planted Tank just because they saw this thread upon searching online so its a win-win for everybody :biggrin:

To thank the "members" and to keep the club active, I would like to offer a 2"x2" patch of HC grown emersed. This will be great for those of you who are looking to start one soon, or restarting. Sorry kind of lazy to take pics right now, but it is pretty dense. Here is a good example of it (not mine, but pretty much the quality that you'll be getting).

Rules:
1.) Must show your support to our club. How so? You must have the "12G Rimless Club" link in your signature box. If you don't know how to do it, please refer to the OP. Directions are on there :hihi:
2.) Must promise to not just add the link to your signature box to participate in this RAOK and later on take it off. Integrity is key here. I won't have time to monitor everyone, but if I happen to see something of such nature, I will void your future RAOK participation(s).
3.) Optional: Please help me word the OP better to better attract potential 12G long lovers :icon_wink You can PM me changes that would help :biggrin:

Disclaimer:
Besides whats mentioned about, my standard RAOK rule applies; that is, because this is a RAOK, I won't be responsible for any lost/stolen/misplaced/mistreated packages or plants that had melted/freeze during the shipping process. That is why I always advise to be sure to mind your weather before you participate : ) I can promise you at least this: ALL plants are 100% freshly trimmed and healthy before they are packaged to be sent off (same day) unless noted otherwise above.

To Participate: Pick a number from 1-20 (if there are more of you I will extend the list, same vice versa), and PLEASE before you pick a number, check all previous posts to make sure no one else have already picked it. I will pick a winner as soon as this list is filled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.