The Planted Tank Forum banner

Yellow Plants

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  dzega 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi

I have a problem with slow growing plants and some with yellow leaves.

My tanks is:
12G
6700K light on 10hrs / day
JBL Manado substrate with sand/gravel overlay
DIY CO2 system
PH7.2
Temp 28degC
Interpet IPF2 Filter
Weekly 1/3 water change with HARD tape water
I have an air stone also but turned it off to get greater CO2 absorption.
I add 5ml Nutrafin Plant Gro every three days.
Once every month Algae Destroyer Liquid.

Fish:
2 Dwarf Gourami
2 Raindows
6 Lampeye
6 Ember Tetra
2 Assassin Snails
4 Ghost Shrimp

Plants:
2 Large Moss Balls
Juncus Repens - newly planted going yellow at tips
Ophiopogon Japonica - newly planted going yellow at tips
Pogostemon Helferi - newly planted seems ok but quiet small at the moment
Java Moss on wood - all died but think that was due to put in crack on wood and got no light.
Dwarf Hairgrass - newly planted too early to say but
Anubias - well established doing well but very slow growth.

WALISSI - established but old leaves yellow and holes, new look ok.
BACCOPA MONNERIA - planted, all leave fell off so cut back to gravel and waiting to see if regrows.
I also have a plant which has regrown from nothing which is now doing well. Can not remember name but it's a true water plant, long thin leaves like streamer, very common

Hope I can get some help for a CHEAP nutrient plan and some advice with the plants, growing rate and yellowing.

See less See more
#10 ·
Sorry I didn't see your thread earlier. I usually don't check this forum as often as my other one.

Your descriptions are pretty good in the first post. The photos you took are mostly of slow growing plants which are not very easy to diagnose deficiencies from. But from your descriptions of the stem plants and the anubias photo I think you are experiencing a nitrogen deficiency. Older leaves will die from tip towards stem, new growth remains healthy looking until the deficiency becomes severe then new leaves steadily grow out smaller and smaller until the growing tip stops growing entirely.

You can add more nitrogen by using potassium nitrate, though root tabs might work as well.

I am surprised your moss died, it usually needs very little light and nutrients to get by. What wattage and type (T5 / T8 / T12 / PC fluorescent?) is your light?

What is JBL Manado substrate? Do you have a nutrient analysis of it in English? I can't understand the manual for it: http://www.jbl.de/en/download/9381/Prospekte/JBL_Manado_-_Produktblatt.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.