The Planted Tank Forum banner

New betta :)

Tags
betta
3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  mosspearl 
#1 ·
My hubby got me a betta for Valentine's Day. This little guy caught my eye at the local Petsmart over a month ago. He was super tiny then. When he was still there, I had to bring him home. He's about 1.5 inches long now, including his tail. His cup was marked as a Half Moon, so I'm curious how he'll develop.

We've tentatively named him Sherlock because he actually used his little fishy brain to figure out how to knock a decent sized snail off the glass. I've got him in a large gallon jar for now since he's still not full sized. I hope to have a 10 gallon set up before he's grown.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Glad you saved this one from a sure death! :thumbsup:

I think its a HM female, looks female to me.

I have bred many Bettas and the fins on this fish are more the type that
females have. If you look under the belly and there is a white spot, then it is indeed a female.

Lovely steel blue color either way though. Congrats on Shirlock/Sherlock :icon_cool

#7 ·
Beautiful Bettas!

#8 ·
Your boy is gorgeous, Wicca! If he turns out like that, I'll be happy. :) He's still young and developing. When I first saw him, his fins were even shorter than they are now and he was very tiny. His body still isn't the size of an adult betta. I'll have my daughter take pictures of him on a weekly basis so we can see if he changes at all.

Thanks, Tete! :) I love seeing all the different bettas.

#9 ·
hes nice. hes likely a delta tail, not halfmoon. its the same genetic trait, just not expressed the same way. a halfmoon (HM) is a delta that can open its tail up to 180 degrees, a superdelta (SD) opens to just under that, and a delta cant go too far above 90. over-halfmoons (OHM), or rosetails/feathertails, can open their tails even further.

#11 · (Edited)
I was wondering that, Marko. It doesn't look like his tail will get that wide. I'm trying to learn about the varieties, but there's so much to learn! Thank you for your input. Took a look at your bettas... they're gorgeous. Let me know next time you have some up on Aquabid. :)

#18 ·
Fat males can have the spot too...

Delta Male...BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I found a REAL HMDT at my Petsmart. Most of them have been DT VT, so I snatched him up :D

#21 · (Edited)
He has gotten even more beautiful!!!

2nd is a (basically) Salamander. He is beautiful too!!!

The guy I got will be a breeder if I can find a good female for him. He is still really shy, so I took a bunch of crappy pictures just before a water change because he still goes pale when I get near him.

I'll see if I can remember how to post pictures...lol

#25 ·
An update... three weeks later, here he is in all his glory. He's still growing (he's still not as big as our other betta), his fins are getting longer... and dare I say it? It looks like his tail might be hitting that 180 degrees. :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.