The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Fluval CO2 Kit

179K views 232 replies 64 participants last post by  brooksie321 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

There's a new all-in-one CO2 kit (similar to the Pierce or ADA Advanced) from Fluval that just came out recently.

It includes:

- Regulator Valve
- 88g Disposable CO2 Cartridge
- Hose
- In-Tank Micro Bubble CO2 Diffuser
- External Bubble Counter
- Hanger Bracket

The good thing is that it uses 88g cartridges. It'll be great if standard 88g paintball cartridges will fit this unit out-of-the-box (which means very cheap and readily available refills). One negative is that it doesn't have a solenoid to conserve CO2 and mainly to prevent overdosing at night.

Fluval products are pretty good quality judging from past experience. I'm seriously considering this for a new Mini-M tank that I'm setting up.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Here's a picture of the refill cartridge:

It looks pretty similar to standard 88g air gun cartridges like these:

The Fluval one costs £14 (so it'll be around $20USD) whereas the air gun cartridges are only $15 for 2.

For a sub-10 gallon tank, how long do you guys think each cartridge will last?

I wonder how good the needle valve is.
Good question.

#6 ·
I think an 88 gram cartridge would empty very quickly on the 40 gallon tank it claims it can be used in. This might be nice for a small nano tank or maybe even up to a ten or twenty gallon with the 24oz. cylinder, rather than hooking up a CO2 cylinder that is bigger than the tank its being used on.

#7 ·
You can use paint ball refillable CO2 cylinders with this kit if you are considering something small and it also has a solenoid so that if you attach it to a timer it can stop CO2 dosing at night.
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_product&cPath=72_73
but you still have to buy the diffuser, line, bubble counter, and the thread adapter.
They work really well, I've seen them at the ADA shop but they only use them on nano tanks.

#8 ·
I received this kit in the mail last week. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, though (tank is in the process of a dry-start).

Since I'm going for a more Amano-esque look, I decided to ditch the black plastic bubble counter and diffuser and bought some glass ones off eBay instead.

Here is a pic of how it'll be set up on my Mini-M (minus the water):

Close-up:

Stock bubble counter and diffuser:

#9 ·
I actually just picked this up the other day, and I would say I'm pretty impressed with it's components for how stock/basic it is. The one thing I did add was a check-valve between the bubble counter and the diffuser. Other than that, it is working great.

#11 · (Edited)
This is now in stock here -
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=FluvalPressurinedCO2

Awesome price too. I hope they aren't making a mistake and advertising the 88g kit by accident.. I would be devastated to say the least if the 20g kit shows up at my door!

I ordered one.

Also, I am still trying to find an adapter suitable for using a paintball tank with this setup.

This looks like it should definitely work! I hope the threads are the same..

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_PAINTBALL_MINI__P2656.cfm

I think there may be an option or 2 on this site.. http://www.bryanandac.com/OldPage/BulkCO2_old.htm

Or this

http://www.amazon.com/88g-Gun-Air-Tank-Adapter/dp/B003BMEW9E/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_b

#15 ·
The Fluval canisters are ordinary 88G paintball tanks. The labeling is a plastic shrink sleeve shrunk onto the canister.
It seems that 100% of the 88G tanks are made with that thread. At least the sites I visited said so.

There seem to be some manufactures that play loose with the length and finish of the threaded neck which makes for compatibility issues.

If you read the Fluval instruction sheet they make oblique mention of this.

#16 ·
I think at this point I am going to be returning the Fluval kit and just going the DIY paintball route. I got my kit in and for some reason the canister will not thread onto the regulator. It stops after about 3/4 of a turn. I am not sure if it is a problem with the threads on the regulator or tank itself, but I am certainly not going to force it to screw in.

By the time I buy an adapter of some sort, and then a 20-24oz paintball tank once my first cartridge runs out, I will have spent way more then just going with the DIY paintball setup to begin with. I had planned on replacing at least the ugly Fluval diffuser anyway, will probably go with a cheap glass diffuser/bubble counter from ebay

Hope the kit works out for everyone else though!

#230 ·
I think at this point I am going to be returning the Fluval kit and just going the DIY paintball route.

By the time I buy an adapter of some sort, and then a 20-24oz paintball tank once my first cartridge runs out, I will have spent way more then just going with the DIY paintball setup to begin with.
Did you ever do the DIY paintball setup? I figured it would cost about $200. For the most expensive item is the regulator. With the Fluval regulator adapted I figure $108.

Is the fluval a pressure regulator or just a regulator though?

#17 ·
The canister is supposed to fit tight! I thought mine was cross threading but with a little hand torque it went on. When the pin pierces the cartridge you will hear nothing but the gauge will read about 1,000.

What you are experiencing is what I wrote about in my last post. The mfg of the cylinder is supposed to clean the threads once they are tapped. That's an expensive proposition and many do not do it. The roughly tapped threads are slightly to large so the tank is tough to screw into the regulator.

Because of this Fluval warns of undo wear in the regulator in a couple of years.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well everything is matched in this kit. The valve is just sensitive enough and it will hold a 1 bubble/sec all day long. The diffuser produces a cloud a tiny bubbles that dissolve rapidly.

If someone can find an adapter for larger tank
s this piece is a real winner.

#18 ·
I'm talking like stopped dead tight.. It just didn't feel right at all. The top of the canister wasn't anywhere near the pin in the regulator, so I know I wasn't just feeling resistance from the pin. I will give it one more try when I get my tank running. I didn't intend to actually puncture the cartridge yet, since I dont have a tank to use it on.. My girlfriend got me the Ebi for Christmas and I have been forbidden to touch it until then. I am working on getting her to compromise and just give me filter so I can seed it in another tank lol. I got my co2 kit from petsolutions.com, they have a 60 day return policy so I have plenty of time.

After hearing how happy you are with yours, I am tempted to stick with it. It sounds like it is far more controllable then a DIY paintball setup.. The deal breaker will be whether one of these adapters or cheaper 88g canisters will definitely work..

#19 ·
I've read that it's recommended to use some Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the treads and seals to give a completely air-tight seal. Maybe the extra lubrication could help make your canister go on easier?

For those using this already, do you find there's a problem at all with it running all night? This is my first regulator without a solenoid so I'm a little nervous about it. It'll be used on a 5.5 gallon tank (Mini-M).

#20 ·
TLE041, do you happen to recall which ebay seller you got your diffuser/bubble counter from? I really like them. Regardless of what I decided to do, I want to order similar ones. I will give your Vaseline suggestion a try, in addition to applying some more force and cleaning the threads when I set up the tank.

Since you are talking about possibly shutting it off at night, I am assuming that the needle valve on the regulator allows you to completely stop co2 flow. Sailnut, can you confirm that for us?

#21 ·
Diffuser: search "2x Slanted Glass CO2 diffuser for planted aquarium tank"
Bubble counter: search "CO2 Bubble Counter / Monitor / CO2 checker"

I'd prefer not to have to manually shut on and off every day. Besides the risk of forgetting to do it, I also want to avoid prematurely wearing out the needle valve. If there's no other option I'd rather leave it on all the time. I posted a thread inquiring about a solenoid for this unit but didn't get anything conclusive.

#24 ·
I'd prefer not to have to manually shut on and off every day. Besides the risk of forgetting to do it, I also want to avoid prematurely wearing out the needle valve. If there's no other option I'd rather leave it on all the time. I posted a thread inquiring about a solenoid for this unit but didn't get anything conclusive.
Hi TLE041. I wouldn't worry too much about leaving the co2 all night long. I have kept my 50g and 20g tanks with pressurized co2 running 24/7 withouth a problem. I only have minor surface agitation as well.

What are you going to be using as a filter? Are you using a canister or HOB? HOB you will have no problem for sure. If you are using a canister just make sure you have a little bit of surface agitation and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

#23 ·
"I'm talking like stopped dead tight.. It just didn't feel right at all. The top of the canister wasn't anywhere near the pin in the regulator, so I know I wasn't just feeling resistance from the pin"

Which was exactly my impression. However the tank was not cross threaded and seated itself properly. There was no sound when the pin penetrated the tank nozzle. However the gauge immediately registered 1,000.

In response to the needle valve seating. It does not require much force to seat the valve and I cannot believe that this is a wear and tear item. It takes between 1/2 and 1/3 of a turn to get enough pressure to start the diffuser.

Last night after trying to stop the flow by crimping the tube (and failing) I shut off the system. In the morning I found that 1/2 the water in the bubble counter had bee sucked back into the tube. It took about 10 - 15 minutes after opening the needle valve for the water to be pushed back into the bubble counter and the diffuser to start. Once started it was easy to restore my previous drop rate of 1/sec.

A google search of 88G male connector return results for a 12g to 88g adapter. The the 88g tanks are relatively popular so I suppose a workable adapter is around but I have no clue re it where-about's

As to the paintball systems using the full tank pressure... The needle valves are being operated way outside there design pressure spectrum. This is a recipe for trouble. If I give up on the Fluval I will get one of the Foster &Smith's setup and an airball adapter. Not to spend the extra money is false economy.

#26 ·
Has anyone tried the mini version (Fluval CO2 20 Mini)? I read from the picture on the box that a "diffusor has to manually be filled once a day"? What does that exactly mean? Is this the case for the 88g?

I already have a glass diffusor that I like; will that work with this mini system?

Thanks in advance,

Cento

#28 ·
Hi Cento......Between the two, I'd get the 88g kit (which I did).
Thanks for the reply... I'm seriously contemplating getting one, but I'm just apprehensive about the smallness of the tank and am waiting for the outcome of another thread of yours to see if it can be adapted to larger tanks... :icon_smil

#30 ·
At the present that question is unanswered. At this point we know that there is no adapter for the 95g tanks which has a similar , not the same. thread as an 88g tank.

I have been running my Fluval for a week and I am very pleased with the mechanics of the thing. The diffuser is first rate and the bubble count is easily set and does not vary,

As to a Paintball system (my personal take.) I would stay away from anything without a regulator. A co2 cylinder is pressurized to 100's of lbs/sq-inch. To control the flow with a needle valve which may or may not be rated for that kind of pressure is asking for trouble. Unfortunately any regulator/needle valve/diffuser set up is a lot more money then the Fluval. 88g cartridges are widely available and at a bubble every 2 to 4 seconds should last for a few weeks, I would suggest you do your homework respecting the economies of a Paintball system operating in a small tank.

#31 ·
Thanks for the reply sailnut.

I only ask because it doesn't take a mathmagician (pun intended) to figure out that, though the initial cost is comparatively low, in the LONG RUN the fluval CO2 replacement's are not economically efficient (here they run $12-$15 per cartridge).

So, I intended, not necessarily to attach it to a 10lbs or even a 5lbs tank, but to try to adapt it to a slightly larger cylinder (9-12oz) that is refillable and lasts a little longer then the 2-3 of the 88 gr.

I was just curious to see if anyone who purchased the kit some time ago had already tried or looked into adapting it.

Tomorrow I'll take a day to drive around to some shops (paintball, bike, plumbing, auto parts, etc) and ask around about adaptors and I'll maybe send Fluval an email asking what the regulator is rated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.