The Planted Tank Forum banner

How much, im lost:(

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sotty 
#1 ·
I have 300 gallons of water with heavily planted new plants.
I'm getting frustrated trying to figure how much to dose with the EI method.
I'd like to do 30% water changes. I just cant seem to grasp How much to start dosing with (ball park) so i can test and go from there. I checked the calculator thing out and i am now even more lost. I realize its dosing more nutrients than needed and WC resets it, i just cant seem to figure out what general amount to dose with. I asked my 5 year old to figure it out for me, she went to go get some crayons:/

#4 ·
EI dosing from sticky

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

This is the ball park to start in for a 40 - 60 gallon tank. Multiply by 5ish and go from there.

2.5 tsp kno3 3x week
5/8 tsp kh2po4 3x week
5/8 tsp CSM+B 3x week

That's what I would try, and sound right to me as its about twice as much as I used to dose in my 150 gallon.

#5 ·
^+1

Just do it!

I got instant results from dosing nitrate. The tank was under a massive green water siege and a daily 1/2 teaspoon of potassium nitrate stump killer cleared the 150 gallon tank in 4 days. Each day I could see further into the tank. I was sold on using NPK+micros after that!

#6 ·
Here are the concentrations you are aiming to add with every dose, roughly:

NO3: 7.5ppm
PO4: 1.3ppm
Traces: .5ppm Fe (assuming CSM+B as being used)

So, using your given 300g of water, and referencing the dosing calculator, we can calculate this schedule:

KNO3: 3x per week, 2.5 tsp + 1/8 tsp resulting in 7.37 ppm, close enough. Or, in grams, weigh out 13.9g.
KH2PO4: 3x per week, 1/4 + 1/8 tsp resulting in 1.29 ppm. Or, again, in grams weigh out 2.1g.
Traces: 3x per week, 2 tsp resulting in 0.49ppm. In grams, 8.7g

With any dosing scheme, watch for deficiencies to crop up, and keep excellent circulation in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.