The Planted Tank Forum banner

Danny's 3 Gallon Long Tank

7K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Neatfish 
#1 · (Edited)
So I had this Deep Blue 3 Gallon Long tank for some time now. I just had a huge planaria infestation and couldnt get rid of them with 3 high dosage of safeguard so I decided to take all of my shrimps out and soak my tank and my plants in 1 huge dosage of safeguard. Planaria is now gone, and I have rinsed my plants and sand multiple times.

Tank: Deep Blue 3 Gallon Long 18x6x7
Lighting: Beamswork 36-40" 129 Led Fixture
Filtration: 1 Small Sponge Filter

I'm not sure if this counts as extra filtration but I have 2 Small, 2 Medium, and 1 Large Breeder Box all hanging from all the sides except the front of the tank. In each breeder box I have a 1inch thick piece of filtration sponge on of the breeder box, topped by gravel and then plants. This is in all of the breeder boxes.

I'm using a marina whisper air pump with dual outlets for 60 gallon. Surprisingly I adjusted the valves that came with the breeder boxes and i found the right level of air going through each breeder box so that there is little to no noise that comes from the bubbles.

Substrate: Just regular black sand from petco. Its only a Neo/Moss tank anyway.

Plants:

Wild Willow Moss
Rose Moss
Fissiden and Mini Fissiden
Green Blanket Moss
Flame Moss
Pearl Moss
Weeping Moss
Singapore Moss
Marimo Ball
Dwarf Water Lettuce
Duckweed

Animals:
Painted Fire Red (Medium Breeder Box Front)
Blue Velvets (Medium Breeder Box Back)
Blue Chocolates (Main Tank)
Blue Ramshorn (Large Breeder Box)

Before you guys start saying anything, the PFR and BV are not going to be housed there permenantly. I'm currently building a custom tank for them to go in. (Housed Seperately).

Pictures of Shrimp Coming Soon

See less See more
#13 ·
Btw what is the plant on the left corner? Looks like just a flat green square.
It's called green carpet moss. I had some for sale but it's all sold out if you want some in the future let me know.

NeoShrimp said:
Correct. Almost all wood once submerged in water will have that. Not harmful just unpleasant to look at.
Over time does it go away?

alipper said:
Sweet tank, where are you located in CT?
Thanks man, I'm in Glastonbury.

GMyukonon24s said:
Nice setup! I like all the different compartments. I like the shrimp too
Thanks, I'm actually trying to see if shrimps would breed in those small compartments. I know that people have done breeding in the large breeder box. But I'm experimenting with with the smaller box. I have PFR in the front medium box and blue velvets in the medium box in the back. It's been 2 weeks. No berried females yet. But all the females are saddled. If anything I can just use the boxes as moss grow out tanks.

#18 · (Edited)
Beautiful chocolates you have there, let me know if you ever breed some those.
Thanks, ill be sure to update my journal as soon as I get any new updates on the blue chocolates!

In the mean time, I just received new pumpkin oranges and they are pretty orange! Even when removed from the shipping bag, they don't seem to lose that much color. These pumpkins will be housed in my largest breeder box located in the back of my tank.

Unlike the females, the males aren't so rich and creamy in orange.

#23 · (Edited)
Man I should check SnS more! So if it looks like Marimo ball then what is it? Do you mind providing us with the plant name :D
It's called green carpet moss, I don't actually know the scientific name of the moss, ill let you know as soon as I find out.

Oliver77 said:
The small tanks hanging around the big ones are ... hob filters (??)
As SoothingShrimp mentioned, they are called marina hang on the back breeder boxes. You can get them on amazon and on eBay. They come in 3 sizes and range from 7-9$ each. But BEWARE do not purchase the breeder boxes with the brand Satellite. I purchased the large one on eBay for 30$... It's the exact same box as the marina brand except marina sells them for 9$

acitydweller said:
I simply love this photo. Looks like a shrimp life support system of some sort. genius!
Thanks! It's multi-purposes. I lined each breeder box with a sponge material then covered it with gravel. I just try to get some extra filtration. AND I can keep more than 1 breed of neos without them interbreeding

#26 · (Edited)
The pumpkin neos came with a ton of adults and females with saddles so as soon as they settle down in there new home, I'm hoping for some berried pumpkins then ill be able to see if breeder boxes work or not.

Speaking of good news, one of my blue chocolates is berried.

Painted Blue Cherry anyone? Its kind of interesting. That specific berried chocolate looks black in my tank. The only for way for me to get its color to look like that was to shine my led flashlight at it and then take the picture. Other than that it looks like any ordinary chocolate.

#31 ·
As I said, I would LOVE to do this idea, just need to make sure it WORKS before I invest what little income I have into a full blown multi-species breeding operation.

Nice Blue Chocolate Neos!!! Ever planning to sell a few when their population gets up to size?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.