The Planted Tank Forum banner

cleaning canister filter

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  partobe 
#1 ·
Hi
I just bought a fluval canister filter about 2 weeks ago to go along with the hob filter I have. Its been years since ive had a canister and Ive totally forgotten how to clean it out. I know its too soon to clean it out now but Im thinking in another cpl of weeks it will be time. Im not running carbon in it just the beads. I know I use tank water to clean it but do I clean everything in it? All the sponges? The beads?
Thanks for your help.
patrick

#2 ·
Clean everything in your canister when doing water change. Squeeze the coarse sponge, gently shakes the bio media to get rid of gunks, wash the impeller etc, do all these with tank water if you can. I havent clean mine for more than a year. I dont see a need to clean it often, thats just my opinion. Is that 306 you got on sale during thanksgiving?

#4 ·
It depends on how often you trim plants, replant and live stock, I clean mine monthly~~max 2 months.... with 50%~70% water change weekly. Tho' you feel like its not need to clean, but actually there is...for flow rate and if you are using inline reactor its get clog.

@Ryu1~~No wonder why you have those nasty Algae in your plants....Clean often. 1 year is a way way to long to wait to clean..

#6 ·
haha, no I dont think so, i believe it is because of my light being too strong, beside those are new filters in my high tech. The one that i didnt clean for over a yr is a low tech algae free, maybe i am just lazy. I still think cleaning it every 6 months is adequate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.