The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glutaraldehyde Concentrate

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  alfalfa 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody in the Seattle area knows where I can get any glutaraldehyde? The LFS told me to contact the GSAS, but I thought I might stop by here first and ask if anybody knows where I can find this organic carbon.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

#2 ·
Hi Chris,

I purchase 50% concentration Glutaraldehyde by the liter from the East Coast; the Hazmat and shipping charges are almost as expensive as the chemical.

I offer it to my fellow GSAS Members either in concentrate or for those that are not knowledgeable or comfortable working with concentrated chemicals I dilute it to Excel strength.

#4 ·
I was about to mop my floors with a new cleanser over the weekend. I diluted it more than the instructions called for. I read the label and it said you could use it to clean walls and bathrooms, so I tried a little area and it definitely took the grime off... because it was melting the paint off! My sponge quickly became caked with paint goo. I read the label a little more. The only ingredient mentioned was where it said "Contains: Glutaraldehyde" and that was among all the warnings.

After a while my lungs were irritated enough that I felt like I was getting a chest cold so I dumped it out. I had to leave that area for a few hours. It wasn't a bad experience, but the universe was telling me I needed to back off and not push it. I'm very careful when I handle things like this and I can understand why people might be hesitant to mess with it. If anyone is unsure about messing with it, leave the preparation to someone else.

#7 ·
Why are you cleaning your house with a hospital disinfectant and where did you buy it from? Metricide and Cidex are the commonly available ones, and they aren't designed to clean the floor or walls. they are designed for cold sterilization of surgical instruments like endoscopes that can't be autoclaved.

It isn't a soap and don't think it would be particularly useful to scrub things. It doesn't work like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.