The Planted Tank Forum banner

Building a Weir

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  spookyman60 
#1 ·
hi all basically, i'm building a 20 gal Planted tank, and im palning to run a sump, my problem is i the tank is glass and i plan to use 5mm cast acrylic sheet for the corner overflow is this a good thickness or would i need to use a thicker acrylic, i will also use 5 mm cast acrylic for the sump baffles aswell, im also using a 22mm drain and piping is this sufficent? thanks in advance im hoping to get a build log going once i start

#2 · (Edited)
? are you placing the baffles in a glass tank/sump or are you building the entire sump out of 1/4" cell cast acrylic?

Bieng that you are going to have a 20G display, I would drill the top corner of the 20G for a 1" bulkhead and have the drain be gravity fed from top corner so you get apprx 200-240gph drain. this way you can do away with the overflow box and have more interior tank room.

I have a 40G with a interior DIY overflow box using 1/8" cell cast acrylic and I have two 1" drilled bulkheads with screens inside the box both draining to a 30G DIY sump/refuge. The return is a 550gph powerhead feeding a 1/2" pvc spraybar.

I have two 29G that I drilled for 1" bulkhead and are gravity drained @ the top corner of display tank going into a 10G leader glass tank. these two 29G have an interior 1" elbow pvc for skimmer/drain.

All my sumps have a durso setup to stop gurgling noise as well.

#3 ·
the sump is exactly the same as the display i have done a quick sketch of what it looks like, plus it helps with ordering of material in the correct quantity was just unsure if 5mm acrylic would be ok im hiding it behind black acrylic so there isnt any eye sores thanks for the advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.