The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do I need a new heater?

754 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Pearl2011 
#1 ·
So I was just doing some trimming and maintenance on the tank and saw there is a bunch of condensation in my heater. Should I be planning on replacing this pretty soon? I want to say it's about 4 or 5 years old.

#4 · (Edited)
Since it's a submerged heater and a Visitherm, It should be a sealed unit and not subject to condensation.

I would assume that it's bad or going bad, and I'd replace it right away. No point in risking the tank getting too hot or too cold due to a heater.

My personal preference would be an Eheim Jager heater, but I don't see anything wrong with the Aqueon. After I had a bad experience, I'd never get another Visitherm.

#5 ·
I've been using Visi-Therm heaters for almost 10 years with no trouble. The only bad experience I had with one was actually self-inflicted. It seems I got distracted in the middle of a large water change that had left the heater out of the water. I never unplugged the heater, and 20 minutes or so after I siphoned out the old water, I went to pour the new water in and the heater exploded.

#6 ·
Sluggo: It exploded?! OMG!! Was everything okay

And i would replace it right away since condensation mean there is water in it, which could cause some electrical mishap or a fire (I'm so paranoid about fire)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.