The Planted Tank Forum banner

Optimal substrate

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Bananariot 
#1 ·
I'm getting some cherry shrimp today and plan on breeding them. Once I have a nice stable colony I will be moving up to crs. I've been looking at Fluval shrimp stratum, looks good so far but I want your opinions on what you use to obtain optimal water parameters.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
You're buying shrimp today but don't have a tank set up, cycled and with a well-established eco system? Stop where you are.

Don't buy shrimp today. Wait until a tank has run for a month or so - even for Neos - and allow time for a great layer of biofilm to develop on everything including the substrate. Then buy shrimp.

Anything will work with Neos. Everything from pool filter sand to blasting grit to Aquasoil. Just pick what you think looks best and fits within your budget.

#3 ·
Sorry should have been more specific, they are going in my well established evolve 4. And moving to my breeder tank once that is established. That was my bad.

#5 ·
Eco complete has a high CEC so it holds nutrients well and releases them over time. From what I have read, it is good. From a lot of people on this forum, ADA aquasoil is the best. I have fluval shrimp stratum right now. I got it for free so it was a great deal. My gripe about it is that it is VERY VERY light. When I was planting stuff in the tank, the tanks would float up a lot when I filled the tank, until i used my tweezers and pulled the roots of my plants deeper. That worked out well.

Also when you place the FSS in the tank, follow the bag directions. Don't rinse it because it will break and just get all over. What I did was pour the stuff in, and lay the empty bag (or some clean empty bag) over the substrate and pour the water over it. Prevents things from getting stirred up. Other than that, the FSS has served me well. It won't buffer water that much IME but for me my water doesnt need too much buffering :)

#7 ·
From a lot of people on this forum, ADA aquasoil is the best.
It's considered the best for certain shrimp, but not necessarily neos. Neos will live in lower pH water but they don't really, at least IME, do the best. If you're tap water isn't off the charts or "dirty", vast majority of the time it works just fine with an inert substrate such as sand.

#8 ·
My tap ph is at 7.6 and I'm not sure what crs need. My cherry shrimp will be in parameters suitable for crs so I know I can keep it stable before buying them.

#12 ·
I'm not sure on that. I picked up a 20g rimless un labeled tank at my LFS for cheap so I plan on using that. The 9L bag of Amazonia should cover it. Only plants in there will be a carpet and some seiryu stone for deco. Maybe some java moss for nomming.

#14 ·
+1 Neos do fine in higher Ph and thrive. Our tap is 7.8-8.2 and they breed like rabbits. About the only issue they have is temperature fluctuation, bad water parameters, predators, and low Ph water. Otherwise they'll live and breed anywhere. I have had them breeding in anything from a vase on the kitchen counter to our Fahaka puffer Eheim filter... CRS/tigers are a completely different animal and require vastly different parameters

#16 ·
Neos have a tendency to thrive anywhere but amazonia could push pH into the 5 range.....which is possible for neos....but for some that may come from 8 pH could be detrimental.

Plus I feel like it's a waste to use it on neo's. Just an economical view from a college kid xD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.