The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp only tank and fertilisation

903 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Navyblue 
#1 ·
The tank is 22G, less than a months old, and quite heavily planted. The tank is low tech, with little fertilisation. I envision the tank as an NPT.

I just introduced 17 adult RCS, with at least 3 newborns spotted (likely more hidden). The tank is fishless, so the bioload is extremely low.

At this point, I suppose the plants need to be constantly fertilised given the low bioload. But say the shrimp population reaches 100, would it be enough to support a tank full of plants? Can a shrimp only tank support the heavy planting without additional fertilisation?

Thank you. :)

#2 ·
depends on your substrate
but more than likely...CO2 will be your limiting factor...so low light + low CO2 = low nutrient demand...so if you have a nutritious substrate (like soil)...low light + low CO2 + high nutrients = slow balanced growth

also...are you sure that your tank cycled in under a month? shrimp wont survive the NH3 cycle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.