The Planted Tank Forum banner

New fish club in KY and TN areas

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  jlieu 
#1 ·
On behalf of the Tank Outlaws, I would like to invite aquatic lovers to our new forum...
tankoutlaws.com
Do you love fish?
Do you have a fish tank?
Would you like to know more about how to properly keep fish, maintain your aquarium?
Would you like to know how to make your hobby less expensive?
Are you interested in joining a club that is 100% free and Local?
Registration takes less than a minute
***Contests, Club Meets, Articles, Live Chat***
Please visit our forum!

#5 ·
Ah I'm sorry we are so far away. Do you ever travel out to any of our areas? You could still become a member, try us out look around. It is free and you never know, you might find something that appeals to you and your fish fanatics in your area.

#7 ·
Well, it is true that there are cichlid keepers and they are the only ones that have posted their fish pics. I am not as I have mostly micro fish and bottom dwellers and a few others. There needs to be more of a fish keeper variety, so what you bring to the table will be an added benefit for all. It's also great that BG is not far away! We have a meet and greet coming up, maybe you would be interested. Stick around, this is going to get better as we grow, I promise!

#8 ·
Awesome. I'll check into it.

Heck I love cichlids lol. Use to be a major Oscar and african cichlids owner. But since then I have shifted a bit to breeding Bettas right before I left the hobby. Now I'm back and have been exploring livebearers (Endlers) and shrimps. Cool stuff.

#9 ·
Great! One of the guys has a thing for endlers too, but I don't think he has any currently. I have 3 guppies and since having guppy for the first time, have thought the endlers were much more beautiful. Is it your intention to breed them? I wouldn't mind getting some locally if I knew they were pure or F1 or how ever people refer to non hybrid fish.. Looking forward to seeing your input there as well, we love to see people's tanks and projects and so forth. You will be the first into shrimp, so your input on them will be invaluable, I have only a few Amano shrimp. Have a great day!

#10 ·
Ah nice!

Funny you mentioned Guppies. That was my original choice for my 'comeback' int other hobby. I was overwhelmed by all the new strains...there were the Snake Skins, Sword Tails, Black Moscow, etc. I had narrowed it down to a few that I wanted to start with but somehow came across the Endlers which caught my interest given their unique background and uncommon coloration/patterns.

I have three N-Class strains (Top Bar Red Chested, Species #2, and Snake Chested) that can be traced back to AdrianHD. I can and have verified the lineage of the Top Bar Red Chested and Snake Chested. I am still working on the Species #2 though, apparently it went through a few set of owners (including me I have verified 5 people so far). I would not necessary say 'breed', but I am interested in being able to set-up a self-sustaining colony with the intent of bringing in 'new blood' every so often of similar strains from different sources.

While some people argue the case that it is 'bad' for the fish to let strains mix, I have also considered creating an overflow community tank that I'll just throw whatever excess frys (from main tanks) all together and mix. In theory, that is more or less, how they would be in the 'wild'. It is not like they know whether they are 'Black Bar' or whatnot. In addition, ultimately, they would still be 100% Endlers with no guppy blood.

Shrimps have been VERY interesting and unique creatures to observe in the tanks. In fact, given my short experience with Amano and Ghost Shrimps...I now have some Fire Reds that should be coming my way to add to my tanks. Lol. Did I mention that I got a 20L, 29, and 40B (just got it today...couldn't help it, it looked SO proportionally useful) from the current Petco sale? Haha.

#11 ·
HAHA that is EXCELLENT! We have/had a member that was giving away a 26 gallon bowfront and stand last week in Nashville, you could always add that to your collection as well!!

Well, I'm not too familiar with the names of the various types, but I would love to see your pictures. You can educate me on what is what!

#13 ·
I understand, though surprisingly I have done a pretty good job with some of my DIY attempts lately. I have the perfect site for you, but first, here is the member that was/is giving away that tank. I am not sure if it is gone yet, he talked about donating it to a school if no one took it...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/member.php?u=21922
You would have to go and pick it up
Now for the DIY, this is a great site that I just found and became a member of
http://www.diyfishkeepers.com
The site owner Joey, has some youtube vids that are extremely easy to follow and understand.. Check them out but don't forget to come to tankoutlaws.com and register with us there, it will always be free to join our club and all members are created and treated equal

#14 ·
So now that I have seen your tanks, tell me what your planted plans are? I have a nice collection of various plants and when it comes time for trimming I am usually looking for a place to give them locally. On occasion I post them here but I'm not really into the plants for profit, so my grow can also be your gain :)

#15 ·
Honestly, I have no clue. I have some vague 'visions', but with all the plants out there. The choices...the choices. I think the hardest thing for me right now is to learn more about planted tanks in general while trying out things and gain experience in what works/what does not/etc. A glance at the aquascaping forum was just a mind-blowing experience what people are doing with their tanks!

Certainly right now though, I am in need of some rooted that I'd love to get a hold of down the road. Now given the extra tanks, I have tons of options and possibilities to go with. As such, I'd love any low-med light plants you have to toss out. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.