The Planted Tank Forum banner

I think one of my fish is sick or dying

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  WestHaven 
#1 ·
One of my 4 dwarf gouramis has been looking sick the last few days. The other 3 all look fine, are swimming well, eating well, and are brightly colored. The sick one looks thin, has trouble swimming or maintaining his depth in the water, has trouble getting to food, and has lost a lot of color. He spends a lot of time resting on the bottom or on plants or hiding. I think he has a problem with his swim bladder.

What can I do to help this little guy?

#3 ·
I called and talked to a guy at my local fish store, and he suggested that I'm not doing enough maintenance on my tank. I do about a 25% water change each week. He asked if I ever vacuum the gravel and I said no I have never done that. Is that the problem?

My tank has a lot of plants (they are all doing well), and I thought they would take care of a lot of the excess ammonia and nitrate (I tested them and they are non-detectable).

#6 ·
Hi,

Did it look like that particular gouramy was being chased or attacked by another one, on a regular basis?

For example, when feeding time occurred, was it able to eat without being harassed?

Michel.
I haven't seen it being harassed, but who knows. I see the other 3 gouramis chasing each other occasionally . This particular gourami has been staying in the mid-to-bottom part of the tank mostly. I have seen that whatever food it can get is the food that drifts close enough to it.

#7 ·
Yes this is my 29 gallon (my only tank). It has been up and running for 8-9 months. Today I cleaned the filter and did a 25% water change. I do a water change once a week and clean the filter once a month.

I have a Penguin 200 HOB filter. What I do to clean it is take it off the tank, put the bio-wheel, filter foam and ceramic beads in a bucket of tank water and wash them around to remove any debris, then take the filter body and impeller and rinse them in the sink.

Is my filter not big/"strong" enough for a 29 gallon tank with this many fish? I updated my signature for my number of fish.

#10 ·
the filter looks like it is plenty for the tank. though vacuuming is still just a general upkeep kinda thing (debris, large poops ect hehe)
do you have your water parameters?

the tank is sliiiightly overstocked but it isnt outrageous or anything but just the sheer size of Dgourami might be the prob. if its not biological

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.