The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low budget tank idea....will it work?

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  nanoguy 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I know your tired of these stupid "will it work" threads but I have one more.

I have a spare 30 long sitting in my water room and a ballast and 10,000k 96w PC bulb I can retro into a light. I also have a smaller HOB filter. Using sand and flourite for substrate and DIY or a cheap CO2 setup would I be able to successfully keep some swords, mosses and other easy plants without too much trouble? I am not really looking for a densly planted tank but I just want something to kinda get my feet wet so to speak.

Any suggestions for the setup?

#8 ·
Ive grown swords with 1 standard florescent light strip. At around .3wpg (20W over a 56Tall) and they grew and reproduced. No ferts, those blue pebbles from walmart.... Tip, if you want to make it more "low tech" make sure you have lots of fish. They will help fertilize the plants for you. Also I would let some of the dead leaves decompose into the water/pebbles. I had about 2-3 new swords a week. Cant tell you the species but they got crazy tall.

#12 ·
Store bought? As in what? Any type of gaseous CO2, whether it be pressurized or a yeast mixture is consider "injection".

With those types of setups, diffusion via a Hagen Mini Elite filter in the tank or a reactor plumbed in-line with your canister filter (or a pump) are rather efficient.

#13 ·
Er, sorries, my planted lingo is off. I suppose I was thinking pressurized as "injected". I was thinking yeast mixture diffusion. I suppose HOB filters are not a good idea so it doesnt out gas the CO2. Do you have a link or something to the types of diffusers your talking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.