The Planted Tank Forum banner

ODNO question

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Vinlo 
#1 ·
Got a question for you lighting gurus.

I have a 33 gallon tank (36x12x18) That is currently running 2 30 watt tubes on a "glo-mat" system. I want to run an additional 2, 36" t-8 tubes at 2x output (parrallel if possible). Is there a wireing diagram for this someplace that I missed? I've only seen the 4x diagrams for series lighting. (series putting out more than parrallel?)

Any info would be much appreciated :D

DW

#2 ·
With a Glo-mat? Can't do it. You could OD a single tube on a Glo-mat if you chop it to pieces and rewire it.. But I've never taken one apart.. Too expensive! :)

What you need to OD is an electronic ballast with multiple outputs for multiple bulbs and then run two or more of the outs together and into a bulb (and the other end into the common ground).. Voila, you're pumping more juice through the tube.

Read the other ODNO thread (Has ODNO in the title - it's still on the first page in this forum) for more details on doing it.

#4 ·
I have 2x ODNO on my tank with the same dimensions. You are going to have a lot of light in your tank with an additional two bulbs.

But to answer your question, here is more or less a wiring diagram. Use the first one (labelled current wiring) but obviously only one ballast (the diagram was for another light setup I was working on).

Works great.. plenty of light! Try to get a decent reflector if you don't have one already though.

Oh, and the ballast I am using is an advantage 4-f32 electronic ballast. Used to drive 4 - 4' bulbs.

#6 ·
I was able to track down a polished aluminum reflector to retrofit into an exiting shop light fixture. I modified it slightly (cut down to 36" and added ends). For my new tank I needed one that would fit 4 bulbs so I made it from scratch. Check out the one for the 30g here..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3261&highlight=canopy

Oh, and be sure to ground the whole thing.. I made that mistake before. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.