The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ideas needed for low tech planted tank

985 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rininger85 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I have completed the construction of 44g aquarium and the silicone is getting cured currently.
http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?10573-44-gallon-build-thread
It is probably the right time to plan for what should go into the tank next week.

1. Substrate : I checked with the local shop, they have some kind of inexpensive black colored 2-3mm gravel (i think it is inert?) made in china. 20lbs for approx $10. Is it okay to use it?
2. fertilizer : I have a pack of Seachem root tabs, can i add them under the gravel now or crush a couple of them and add it as a layer below gravel?
3. DIY Pvc Overflow + DIY Wet/Dry filter with bioballs in 10g sump.
4. Return pump from sump @ 200 gallons per hour.
5. Lot of low-light, easy-to-maintain plants.
NO CO2.

I would like this tank to be low-tech, low maintenance tank.
(I guess the above setup doesnt seem to be 100% low tech, but definitely non-co2 to begin with)
Please advice. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you probably want something under the gravel then cap with the gravel to hold it down.

I don't have a lot of experience with planted tanks yet, but my first attempt my 55 I have eco-complete in it which is decent for planting in, and from my early on reading seemed like a good choice... now starting a 10 gal work tank that I have miracle grow potting soil capped with gravel then capped with Tahitian moon sand (because I made a mess when I planted it, so if you go dirt I'd recommend waiting until after planting to cap the dirt).

I really like the look of the Tahitian moon sand... should have just went with that to cap the dirt to begin with =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.