The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sump Pimps! I haz a question:

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  HD Blazingwolf 
#1 ·
I want to make a sump for a 29 gallon, regular footprint glass tank. I would like to use an empty 10 gallon, regular footprint glass tank for the filter. I have to build a stand, still, but I bet the top of the tank won't be much higher than five feet off the ground. Let's call the discharge head 60"...

What brand and model pump do you recommend based on the above criteria and your own personal experience?

The inter-webs are full of marketing schemes and I have no experience with pond pumps. I don't mind spending an extra dollar if it directly translates to quality. I would like to avoid branding mark-ups.

Thanks,

JJ

#2 ·
I'd get a Mag 5 or a Mag 7. Mag 5 is probably bare minimum at 5', you would get 250GPH and I hear 10x tank turnaround per hour is optimal. Mag 7 will give you 420, which you might want to pipe down a bit with a valve.

I run a Mag 12 myself and I am very happy with it. Mine does run a bit warm though, raises water by about 10F over ambient.

#9 ·
You would need to step up to the Rio 2300' but even then you won't get the 1200 GPH you want. 1200 GPH requires an outboard pump like an iwaki. But now you are looking at a 300 to 400 dollar investment. I would offer to help source the pump you want, but after you pay shipping, you won't save any money buying from me. Pumps have very little margin in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.