The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval canisters - how is yours set up?

705 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mistahoo 
#1 ·
I have a 206 that is cycling right now, and I am wondering if I've got it set up in an optimal way for shrimp.

How shrimpy people with Fluval canisters have their media set up?

#4 ·
For my Fluval 406, all I have is bio-balls and a sponge. :D
Since it's a shrimptank, and incase I needed to cycle a tank very quickly, I would have a TON of bioballs. I'm going to try setting up a new tank, adding bio-balls so the substrate is covered with it for a week and to see if my tank has been cycled.
I think the most important things for filters is carbon and bio-balls. The rest isn't necessary, imo.

#5 ·
I have the original bio media the filter came with in the bottom tray of my 306's, then the top 2 trays are filled with biomax (the kind for the aquaclear filters that comes in mesh bags), with a purigen pouch in the top basket (I have DW in my tank that is still leeching tannins).

When I need to set up a temp tank I just yank out a bag of biomax or two and that tank/filter is good to go.. if I have some spare I toss new ones in the filter to seed those for the next time I need an instantly cycled tank :)

#7 ·
I never use carbon. I just don't like it. Couldn't place my finger on it, but it doesn't seem right in a fish tank.

I don't run a Fluval canister, but I run no carbon on any of my tanks. (And that's not to say I don't have it in case I need it for removing meds from the water)

#8 ·
I like loading canisters with bioballs, plastic pot scrubbers, or Seachem matrix. If I had money I'd do only Ehiem substratpro. IMO, cheapest and the biggest bang for its buck is plastic pot scrubbers. $1 for 6 is hard to beat.

Carbon is practically useless unless you're trying to take meds out of the water. If you're using it as a water polisher, do yourself a favor and pick up some purigen, you'll be amazed. Also, if carbon sits in the tank too long, it can start to leech out whatever it soaked in. And as someone mentioned already, it'll take in nutrients the plants can use. Purigen won't leech what it soaks up and you can recharge it instead of having to buy more. Purigen also polishes the water much better.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.