The Planted Tank Forum banner

JerSaint's 36 Gal 1st Planted Tank *Photo Heavy*

17K views 84 replies 21 participants last post by  JerSaint 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All! Thanks for taking a look any feedback is welcome!

I took my retired 36 Gal cichlid tank (some minor scratches on glass<sorry>) and cleaned it up and got ready to go. I got started today and am so excited to share!

I am using the following:

40lbs Eco-Complete Black
20lbs Black Sand
2 pcs Mopani
1 pc Driftwood
Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel Filter
150w Heat Stick (Deep Blue)
55w Power Compact 7000k
*1 Looking for a way to also add on the traditional strip light to up total watts. Advice is appreciated.
Hardscape

Hardscape w/ Substrate

Eco-Complete

Red Clay

Started Planting

Overhead View

Plants Water and Light!

Plants and Structure

See less See more
#28 ·
Ha!

Ha! Alliper I just noticed your comment! I thought they were nippy bullies(really good looking) nippy bullies. So back they went. I think they tank will be better without them. I might consider doing a big school (25-30) with Kribs in my 55 Gal when I set it up.

#33 ·
Ha! Alliper I just noticed your comment! I thought they were nippy bullies(really good looking) nippy bullies. So back they went. I think they tank will be better without them. I might consider doing a big school (25-30) with Kribs in my 55 Gal when I set it up.
They have great color, but suck trying to keep with other fish. Tank is looking really good man.

#29 ·
Photo Update

Hi All,
I took some pictures tonight and thought I would add them to the journal. Hope you enjoy!:icon_smil

Main 1/5/13

Is this normal? Does Java Fern usually root directly from its leaves?

I also have a 5.5 Gallon Quarantine tank set up below the main tank. I didn't photograph it from the start so no journal for it. I plan on keeping it up and running with a trio of Cories and lots of clippings. This way I have a place to medicate if necessary and never have to introduce any sick fish to the main tank. I am also trying out CFL's (6000k cool white from HD{3 pack for $9) in a clamp light for growth. Let me know what you think!
QT Main

#34 · (Edited)
Thanks Alliper! I will put up more pics when all the fish in QT hit the main tank.

#36 ·
Thanks LB79. I am very happy with them. Can't wait to see the full school of cardinals together in the planted tank!

#37 ·
6 Weeks! A little re-scape and pics to update. Livestock is all out of QT. The shoal of 12 Cardinals is one of my favorite things. Also added a second female Bolivian ram to make a trio. Added a third Sparkling Gourami as well.
Main 1/14/13 (Love the color from the Cardinals)

Breeding area?

Side

Fun with SuperGlue (first attempt using it on moss to drift)!

I think it will look really good in a few weeks!

Check these guys out!

Bolivian Rams. Love these guys! The male is the Alpha of the tank. He nipped at my hand twice while scaping today. What a PIMP!

#38 ·
Bump

Any feedback is appreciated.

#39 ·
Bolivian Rams are Breeding! The Breeding area worked like a charm.
Prepping the slate

Laying the eggs.

#41 ·
Thanks Conrad, I am pumped!

#42 ·
WOW!!!

Your Tank has really come along!!! You have a very nice scape going, as well as some VERY PRETTY FISH!!! Congrats on the breeding too!!! My Albino Corys breed again when I was at the farm! Most of the eggs got eaten though, but I bet the Rams will protect their eggs a bit better than the corys do though!!!

Are you getting all of your fish at Petco??? If so Yalls Petco must have MUCH BETTER Fish People than ours!!!! Ours is TERRIBLE, BORDERING ON ABUSE!!!

Anyway, keep up the GREAT WORK on the tank and Fish!!!
Drew

#43 ·
Hi BoxxerBoyDrew,
Thanks for the compliments. The ottos are from Petco (the Angels are offspring from a friends petco Angels), the Rams and Cardinals are from Petsmart. The Sterbai Cory's and Sparkling Gourami are from my LFS in Groton. The big box stores locally are ok. They have a few good employees and a few that don't know enough. I usually buy on day of arrival and keep all fish in QT for two weeks. I also usually treat with tetra's full spectrum medication for six days. Finally I go old school and use a bit of aquarium salt in QT 1 tbs for 5 gallon, and 1 tbs per 15 gallon in main tank. After two weeks the fish are happy, healthy campers. Slow acclimation to main tank and they are good to go!:)

#44 · (Edited)
2 Month update!

A few small changes and some filling in.
Fish: First off no fry made it in my Rams first attempt at breeding. No worries I have heard it can take a couple of tries. I lost the third Sparkling Gourami but the two that remain seem very happy and chose to return the second Bolivian Ram female(after the others paired up).
Plants: I chose to split the clumps of DHG a little more. I am starting to get impatient with it though, if it doesn't start to spread soon I may need to try something new. I moved a couple of Argentine Sword plants and like their location now. The Java fern and moss are looking good. My favorite plant right now is my Bacopa Carolina (from Petsmart). Let me know what you think.:bounce:

Main @ 2 months

FTS

Bacopa Jungle

Moved Argentine Swords

Drift w/ Java fern and moss

Side view

Bolivian Rams
Female

Male

Sparkling Gourami

Sterbai

#46 ·
Thanks Chad! The Rams and Angels add so much personality to the tank. I love your tanks really beautiful. I how to be able to scape with as much talent someday! I look forward to seeing how your new cichlid tank comes out:icon_wink

#47 ·
AWESOME deal on the breeding too!!!

The tank is looking really good!!! Again I love the fish assortment you have! Some of my very favorites!!! I hate that I can NEVER find the majority of them locally! I am going to do a Austin trip(100miles 1 way) when Tax return gets here and see if I can find some cool fish!

Anyway keep up the great work!
Drew

#48 ·
Thanks again drew! Good luck with the trip. I can't wait to see what you get!:D

#49 ·
FTS progression...so far.

Day 1

Day 6

1 Month

6 Weeks

2 Months

Plus a couple from the QT tank.

#52 · (Edited)
Thanks Alipper!

Milkman my parameters are Ph between 6.6-6.8,
Amm. 1Ppm or less, Nitrate less than 10Ppm, Nitrite 0 Ppm,
Temp. 77. I feed three times daily flake first, then either
frozen bloodworms or Brine w/ Sprinula, finally NLS small fish formula.
I dose C02 Booster daily, hope to upgrade to a tank at some point soon.
Good Luck with the breeding attempts. I hope this helps!

#53 · (Edited)
10 Week Update

10 Weeks!

A little re-scape and some other updates. I added Dwarf Sag., Blyxa Japonica and Jungle Val.

Sold off the Angels after they had a nice meal of Amano shrimp (I thought they were getting a bit big for the tank anyways). I think I will try out some Varitus. I also add a Korilla to up the flow.

I tried working the DHG into a little more compact field and hope the Blyxa and Dwarf Sag will make a really nice lawn scape.

I am also fighting a bit of an algae problem, got to find balance and work it out!

Onto the pictures!:bounce:

Main 2/16/13

FTS with flash

Blyxa

Dwarf Sag and Argentinian Sword

Bacopa

Drift w/ Java Fern and Moss

DHG with a bit of algae

Bolivian Ram

Cardinals

Sterbai (check out the color)

A few QT shots:

:thumbsup: or :thumbsdow let me know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.