The Planted Tank Forum banner

How do I rig plants of algae?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 ·
I need to figure out how to get rid of algae on my plants, without uprooting the plants/disturbing the plants. Please give me tips! :help:

#3 ·
First, figure out why you have algae showing up--and what type--then work to change the conditions that caused it. For that, we need to know more about your set up, what plants are involved, etc.

Typically the biggest culprit is a lighting problem; my tank breaks out with green water if I let too much direct sunlight reach the tank, with BBA when I get lazy about leaving the main bulbs on too long (anything more than 6 hrs a day usually does it).

Once you've addressed the problems, alot of algae will naturally die off or you can rid yourself of the worst by clipping off the affected old growth. The right clean up crew can often help keep future growth in check--in my tank that's otocinclus, nerites, shrimp and an SAE.

#4 ·
It's definitely best to figure out why you're getting algae and then try to remedy it. I am not freaked out by a little bit here and there -- I have some really pretty, very vibrant green stuff that grows sparsely on my cholla and the plecos love it, so I leave it alone. Hair algae, on the other hand, is very annoying. I got some Amanos and they seem to be helping with the hair algae (I have a tank that gets morning sun exposure on one side and it's just enough to cause some algae growth). I've found the Excel is helpful, too, especially with things like hair algae. Just make sure you don't have marimos in the tank you are treating with it. If you have small fish that won't eat shrimp, Neocaridinas are pretty good at cleaning things up. I have a bunch of culls in one tank that are RCS, PFR and yellows crossed and they do a really great job cleaning up everyday algae that just grows a bit here or there on the glass and plants.

#5 ·
There are a variety of techniques to do what you want, but each one first requires that the algae be identified. That's because what works for one type of algae won't necessarily work for another.

The second problem is that algae grows very quickly so if all you do is remove the algae without figuring out what's causing it and then fixing the root problem, the algae will just come right back. And most techniques for removing the algae for plants can become harmful if they are repeated continuously.

So the way to get rid of the algae is this:

1. Identify the algae. If you can post pictures of the algae, we can help identify it for you.
  2. Identify the cause of the algae. Once we know which algae it is, we can help you figure out what's causing it.
  3. Fix the cause of the algae. This is the ultimate solution to getting rid of the algae long term.
  4. Kill the existing algae. This is the last step in which a number of different techniques can be used to kill the algae on the plants and throughout the tank.
So if you'd like to get rid of the algae, you can start step 1 by posting a picture of the algae so it can be identified.

#7 ·
Removing Algae

Hello S...

The plant establishes itself in water with high levels of dissolved food. When you feed your fish and plants too much, then there's extra food for primitive plants like algae.

It's a slow process, but you can remove it by slowly reducing the amount you feed. In their natural setting, fish and plants are lucky to eat once a week. We need to feed the same way.

I feed fish and plants a little bit a couple of times a week and only what the fish will eat in a minute or two. That way, there's no added nutrients in the water. I have no visible algae in any of my planted tanks.

I also remove and replace half the water in my tanks, so if I feed a little too much, the water change will remove the added food.

Pretty simple, but it takes time. The algae didn't magicially appear overnight, so you can't get rid of it overnight.

B

#9 ·
Unfortunately, this isn't entirely accurate or thorough.

Algae can be a problem because you have too much lighting, because you don't have enough CO2 in your system because of high lighting or because nutrients are not in check.

Balance is key. Once you find that balance for your specific tank, you will have very few issues with algae.

Hello S...

The plant establishes itself in water with high levels of dissolved food. When you feed your fish and plants too much, then there's extra food for primitive plants like algae.

It's a slow process, but you can remove it by slowly reducing the amount you feed. In their natural setting, fish and plants are lucky to eat once a week. We need to feed the same way.

I feed fish and plants a little bit a couple of times a week and only what the fish will eat in a minute or two. That way, there's no added nutrients in the water. I have no visible algae in any of my planted tanks.

I also remove and replace half the water in my tanks, so if I feed a little too much, the water change will remove the added food.

Pretty simple, but it takes time. The algae didn't magicially appear overnight, so you can't get rid of it overnight.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.